Bike Mirror for the M-I-L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I am considering treating the defacto mother in law.

Shes been a keen cyclist all her life, but last year she fell over pissed and damaged a disk in her neck. As a result she struggles to do proper shoulder checks and this effectively means she can't go out on her own on the bike and if she does, she is reliant on the other person doing the checks for her.

She doesnt want one of those bar end or sticky out mirrors, but has seen some sort of mirror that attaches to the headstock of the bike. Before I dash out and buy one and before my generous mood evaporates. Has anyone used one? Do they work? As she goes to the continent with caravanette and they be fitted either side?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mirrors on the end of the handle bars don't need to be sticking out too far. There are some that are very small and unobtrusive to be honest, and in my opinion are probably the best where mirrors are concerned. Mirrors that attach anywhere else like the main frame tend to get in the way of your knees, or other things you mght have attached to your bike and are not very good at showing you everything you need to see.

I diid see a new mirror the other day that fits onto your arm very much like a fit bit. Small and round, it looked like it might be quite good, however i'm sorry to say i can't rememner where i saw it.

I would go with the mirror on the end of the handle bars. Easy to fit and remove. Have a look at Amazon. They have every kind of bike mirror you could want. It's a matter of personal preference as with everything. What one person will love, another will hate. What works for one. Won't for another.

Sharky

Guru
When recovering from a broken collar bine, I fitted a mirror. Found it useful for telling me when it was unsafe to move out, but could not rely on it to tell me when it was safe. I found it necessary to stop on the left hand side and twist my whole body to check it was clear before restarting and moving out. In time, flexibility returned and the mirror removed.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
Is it one of these that you have seen?
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/97469/products/bike-eye-rear-view-mirror-grey.aspx

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another utterly useless post: I really rate Sprintech bar-end mirrors (for drop bars). But she doesn't want those. I've seen headset mirrors in media but never in real life. I've also ridden with a guy who used a helmet mounted mirror and said it was extremely useful. I pulled a bit of a dubious face and he said that he'd used one for years.

I use one of the ones pictured above in @Spiderweb 's post. Yes, they can be fitted either side and I've done so when visiting a friend in the Pyrenees. Mine is the standard or normal size, not the 'large' or whatever it's called and doesn't remotely interfere with my knees or anything else I use on the bike. I wouldn't be without it (hence removing it from my bike to take with me when cycling in France/Spain).

Naturally, you do need to be aware of what you can and can't see and that is 'nothing at all when your mirror-side leg is down' and 'only really directly behind'. In practise, neither of those things is especially problematic and overall I'm far, far more aware of what's going on behind me than were I to solely use shoulder checks. i.e. whilst a shoulder check is definitely better at an instant, regular checking of the mirror - as you would in a car in other words - is very good for keeping you aware of vehicles behind.

In her situation, one of these is certainly worth a try but she needs to think of it as a fundamentally different method to a head check and check regularly, not just at, say, junctions. i.e. maintain active awareness at all times rather than being able to do a thorough head check at key points.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Not sure if it is any help, but my Topeak Bar N Mirror is a fairly uncomfortable bar end and a pretty useless mirror. I had a zefal spy that worked relatively well, but kept falling off...

I have never managed to get used to helmet mirrors.

Sixmile

Veteran

How would you ever have a clear view of anything with a mirror positioned there unless you actually weren't on the bike?

I've recently purchased a Zefal spy mirror which is small but as I haven't tested it yet I can't offer anything further at this point apart from the reviews for it were decent. I intend to give it a go at the weekend and will report back!

your legs obscure the view
How would you ever have a clear view of anything with a mirror positioned there unless you actually weren't on the bike?

I imagine it's down to a combination of leg alignment and width of legs. I have a clear view directly back, between by right leg and the frame, for about half a pedal stroke with mine. It's far from perfect but, as I said, if you use it like car mirrors to maintain situational awareness at all times, to see things coming and predict developing situations, it works very well (for me). Used as a direct replacement for a shoulder check it would be a very bad idea, but then I'd really not like only knowing what's happening behind me when I actively look backwards, which is inevitably rather less often than keeping a constant check with a mirror every few seconds (where 'few' is single digits).

its great fitted between the bend on drops.

That looks pretty problematic if you ever actually use the hooks, or even want to change gear or brake from the drops?

Tangoup51

Sorry about said incident, hate to be kill-joy but I wouldn't advise cycling if you can't do proper shoulder checks. Mirrors won't help you all the way, but if you (she) insists on it..

You should aim for a mirror that's not tiny, but somewhat large as you're going to need to see more given the fact you're compensating for shoulder checks.

You should also aim to Manipulate how the mirror works, to your own benefit. Some mirrors (like one user posted above) works better in other areas than it's intended area. You could practice similar things, or even give her said mirror to Play with.

That'd be my penny.

Top Bottom