bike noise!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simo105

Im getting a noise from my bike which i think but not 100% sure its from the rear wheel. Ive taken it back to lbs where i brought it from but they carnt get it to make the noise! So the other night i took it a long ride and i established that it only starts after ive done 20 miles or so, or if ive been doing a quick pace for a while. The noise is like a clicky vibrating noise. I dont think its anything to do with crank because it happens when im freewheeling. It sounds like it happens on every rotation of the wheels! Ive checked for loose spokes and they seem fine! Any suggestions
Cheers

Is it perhaps a Mavic wheel?

I had a very similar experience with my bike were it started making a click noise after riding for a 10 + miles. Never when I just started but got progressively worse after riding the bike for a while. It drove me mad. Turned out the rear hub bearings needed replacing. Good luck as I know how annoying strange noises on a bike can be.

OP
OP
simo105

simo105

I had a very similar experience with my bike were it started making a click noise after riding for a 10 + miles. Never when I just started but got progressively worse after riding the bike for a while. It drove me mad. Turned out the rear hub bearings needed replacing. Good luck as I know how annoying strange noises on a bike can be.
Ive got a feeling this maybe the same!

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Iv been having the same for the last couple of weeks and only got to the bottom of it today. It only starts about 15-20 miles into the ride also. As I was riding yesterday I asked an experienced bike builder who was riding with us what he thought it could be. He said its either the rear hub or cassette. After inspection today I noticed that the cassette had quite a bit of play between the cogs. I took the rear wheel off and could hear and see the cassette vibrating as I bounced the wheel on the ground. This would obviously sound worse when I'm riding as the noise would vibrate though the bike, especially on harsh road surfaces. I then remembered that I put the cassette on a new set of wheels a couple months back and hadn't tightened the cassette up enough.
I tightend it up to the required 40NM.

Now there is no noise but I will be more convinced after my ride tomorrow

OP
OP
simo105

simo105

Hub bearings is where I'd start. How about taking it for a long ride that ends at the LBS so they can hear ?
Looks like this will be the case!
Iv been having the same for the last couple of weeks and only got to the bottom of it today. It only starts about 15-20 miles into the ride also. As I was riding yesterday I asked an experienced bike builder who was riding with us what he thought it could be. He said its either the rear hub or cassette. After inspection today I noticed that the cassette had quite a bit of play between the cogs. I took the rear wheel off and could hear and see the cassette vibrating as I bounced the wheel on the ground. This would obviously sound worse when I'm riding as the noise would vibrate though the bike, especially on harsh road surfaces. I then remembered that I put the cassette on a new set of wheels a couple months back and hadn't tightened the cassette up enough.
I tightend it up to the required 40NM.

Now there is no noise but I will be more convinced after my ride tomorrow
Looked at cassette seems fine! Thanks for the advise.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Looks like this will be the case!

Looked at cassette seems fine! Thanks for the advise.
Ok at least you can eliminate that now then. Although I would say take the cassette off and wiggle the cogs just to make sure. Until I took mine off I could hardly detect any movement between them. Wouldn't want you to come back to it later to find that was the problem. Took me ages to find out that was what happened with mine. Sometimes its necessary to start stripping the bike down....... I was amazed that the cassette had to be torqued to 40Nm....... Good luck anyway

Top Bottom