Bike ordered...now I need some advice for accessories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

voodoochilli

Finally ordered a Triban 3 from Coventry who are going to let me use a courier! WOOT! By the way, any advice on this? Paisley Freight is cheap, but are they ok? Anyone recommend a good one?

Questions:

Helmet - does everyone wear one? I'm thinking I should get one, is this a must?
Trainers - I only have work shoes, big clumpy things. I'm thinking of getting some of these, please tell me if you think they are too retro or too bouncy for cycling. Want to get something cheap.
Lights - cheapo ones..any recommendation? Used to like the dynamo ones but I guess that's old school too, right?
Bike lock - recommendation? Again, cheap
Anything else? (Not getting lycra! Not yet anyway...)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Paisley Freight offer a very good service. Recommended.

fatCyclist

I can't help with the other questions (hence my post quite similar! ;) but for trainers, personally, I'd avoid anything with such a huge built-up sole. I'm coming from a walking/running background and have moved to 'barefoot' shoes. Basically shoes with virtually no elevation in the sole. This makes it better for your feet as they're closer to the ground/pedal and you have more control (amongst other benefits).

As an example I have a pair of these, but you can get cheaper brands that achieve the same kind of idea: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VivoBarefoot-Neo-Airmesh-Running-Shoes/dp/B004W7CPJG/ref=pd_sim_sg_21

I suppose a proper cycling shoe would be best, but that's not something I've looked into yet.

Lee_M

Guru
I can't help with the other questions (hence my post quite similar! ;) but for trainers, personally, I'd avoid anything with such a huge built-up sole. I'm coming from a walking/running background and have moved to 'barefoot' shoes. Basically shoes with virtually no elevation in the sole. This makes it better for your feet as they're closer to the ground/pedal and you have more control (amongst other benefits).

As an example I have a pair of these, but you can get cheaper brands that achieve the same kind of idea: http://www.amazon.co.uk/VivoBarefoot-Neo-Airmesh-Running-Shoes/dp/B004W7CPJG/ref=pd_sim_sg_21

I suppose a proper cycling shoe would be best, but that's not something I've looked into yet.

you could have got some proper cycling shoes for that sort of money :rolleyes:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Helmets - personal preference, I wear one, others don't.

Get yourself a skull cap, a decent pair of gloves and some warm socks for biking in the cold weather

A saddle bag and put in it as a minimum three tyre levers, a couple of spare inner tubes, either a co2 pump or fit a normal pump to the frame, patches.

You should consider getting a track pump for getting the tyres at the correct pressure at home.

get some lube for the chain.

fatCyclist

you could have got some proper cycling shoes for that sort of money :rolleyes:
Aye, but those shoes were bought when I was walking/running and not cycling. Of course, once I get into cycling, I'll buy some cycle shoes. I was just using those as an example of an alternative to a big bungie sole on a trainer. :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
Helmet - sorry but it's up to you, some do, some don't. I like one. Some say there is no proof that they help but then there is no record of injuries that don't happen. Each to his/her own.
Trainers - any cheapo pair will do for now
Lights - Depends on if you are riding a lot at night or if you are in a wel lit town. I have noticed that it is often the background that makes the light stand out. If you only need them for an emergency then the cheap LED jobs are better than nothing and are as good as the old dynamo jobs.
Bike lock - Sorry again, cheap aint gonna work. If you need to pop into the shop for a packet of woodbines [joke] then just a basic wire/cable lock will do but if you mean anything longer or even to leave the bike alone, outside all day then you need SERIOUS hard steel. You could try a m/cycle shop [or check out E Bay] for m/cycle locks, but I'm afraid strong means both heavy and expensive.
Anything else ? Yes - my old hobby horse - get some specs. Even a pair of wraparound safety specs will do, no need for £20+ style fancy sunglasses. Remember one chunk of grit [or a bug] in the eye and you could end up on the road or under a truck.
PS - Most important of all HAVE FUN !!!

Sara_H

Guru
Bike lock - recommendation? Again, cheap
Nooooooo! Don't get a cheap lock! Think how you'll feel if your lovely shiny new bike is stolen!

I've just bought new locks (I'd made a bad choice previously and always worried when my bike was locked up).
I used bike radar reviews when deciding what locks to get and have just bought an abus granit xplus (£43) and an Abus chain-o-steel (£25) as back up. They're heavy, but have got good reviews.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 on the lock...U Lock, seriously heavy chain and/or a hungry Rottweiler. Probably looking to spend up to £100 for good security (+ dog food)

Padded shorts and gloves are a must for me (I like a comfy rear and hand protection in case of a fall and they cushion too). Helmet, I wear one, but up to you, your head, not a legal requirement

Lights a must if riding in low light, the dark, plus some sort of over garment with some high vis bits (yellow not obligatory)

Insurance for the bike - contact your home policy provider

Glasses keep the bugs and road grit out of your eyes and protect from cold and wind

Top Bottom