Bike parking at Waterloo station?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaroA

Hi, I'm shifting to a London job that will involve cycling from Waterloo station into town. I'm wondering how safe it is to leave an oldish bike in the racks at Waterloo station overnight and over weekends? It's an old heavy Claud Butler, and of course a D lock and cable. Also wondering how often they are full at 6.30/ 7pm, which is when I would be parking it and rush for my train. The alternative is to use Santander bikes every day. All advice much appreciated - thanks!

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum, @CaroA. I'd go for leaving the old bike and risking it. My experience of using Santander bikes (admittedly a while ago) is that you can't find one when you arrive in the morning and then you can't find anywhere to park it when you leave in the evening. Things may have improved since then.

Sharky

Guru
Hi and welcome.
Whereabouts in "Town" do you have to get to?

I am a committed cyclist and when working in the City, would often commute all the way in from outside the m25.

But I've also trained into Victoria and blackfriars and walked to the office. Sometimes up to an hours walk. Can be quite refreshing taking an early morning walk across Green Park and similar routes.

Probably a bit unexpected on this site, but I would consider the walking option for up to a couple of miles instead of the hassle cycling with parking, maintenence, wet weather and traffic issues.

I'm going to hide now before flak comes my way.

jay clock

Massive member
I can vouch for the bike racks. I have left a hybrid there for some time (with the frame wrapped in electrical tape to ruin the look) and zero problems. I have a helmet in a plastic bag in the basket (cable tied on to the rack).. I stopped using the cable with the D lock as it was a fiddle, and frankly there were nicer bikes to nick. Worst issue I had was having the helmet bag opened, but a sweaty Aldi helmet doesn't seem to buy much crack, so it was left alone

Racks are through the arch by Costa (approx opposite plat 13)

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
CaroA

CaroA

I can vouch for the bike racks. I have left a hybrid there for some time (with the frame wrapped in electrical tape to ruin the look) and zero problems. I have a helmet in a plastic bag in the basket (cable tied on to the rack).. I stopped using the cable with the D lock as it was a fiddle, and frankly there were nicer bikes to nick. Worst issue I had was having the helmet bag opened, but a sweaty Aldi helmet doesn't seem to buy much crack, so it was left alone

Racks are through the arch by Costa (approx opposite plat 13)
Thank you all so much for the quick replies! I need to get from Waterloo to Old Street so will test this out.

Top Bottom