Bike parts that have good non bike uses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I turned this ....

Bianchi frame and fork.jpg

... into takeaway curries for 3, plus a couple of new tyres!

(At least, I will do shortly after Christmas - I sold it to @Soltydog and have put the cash to one side in anticipation.)

A brake cable to fix the tilting mechanism in a front car seat. It lasted 5 years until the car was sold and is probably still going strong.

And to fix the bonnet release
Ah, now there's an idea!

My DVT-ravaged left leg really isn't comfortable for long if dangled over the edge of seating. I can manage a quick cafe stop on a ride but after 15 minutes or so my leg balloons up unless I get up and walk around for 5-10 minutes.

It obviously isn't very practical to use a computer, watch TV, or read if I am having to get to my feet 3 or 4 times an hour. Fortunately, I don't have any problem if I use a leg rest to support my legs horizontally.

My sister gave me her old 2-seater sofa which has cable-release leg rests. Unfortunately, the cable on one side broke about a year after I got the sofa. I switched to sitting on the other side of the sofa but that side's cable only lasted about a year too.

I'll have a go at using brake cables to fix it!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
View attachment 443404

I made some keyrings with bits of bike chain and a clippy thing..
This year, they were Christmas presents for the 'club' (lol) that I've ridden with for years.
Oi! Those are my keys.
Old chain key fobs are great for a number of reasons...
  1. You can always identify the bike keys in a hurry
  2. The loop of chain hangs brilliantly on a screw put into the inside of the bike shed door frame just for the purpose
  3. You always have a spare bit of chain to graft in should you do damage to your bike chain while out on a ride
  4. It is re-cycling at its finest

Top Bottom