Bike paths in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jerryatric

Update

Hi everyone, and thanks to all who replied to my original post.

To give a quick update - I landed in Amsterdam last week and headed south from Haarlem to Hoek van Holland, where I caught the ferry to England. Of course the Dutch bike facilities were great, though less exciting as you get further south. Lots of Stop-and-Go in the (unavoidable) cities, and navigation was difficult, even with a good map. Mostly just used the sun to hold my heading somewhere close to South between stumbling across the bicycle direction signs.

Now in Cambridge after riding about 55 miles from Colchester today on the Lonely Planet "Cycling in Britain" route. I wouldn't exactly call the traffic terrifying, but I'm also pretty sure that riding in this level of traffic isn't my idea of recreation. Thinking of going next to the Sea-to-Sea, as it sounds like a pretty well-established largely off-road route. Then maybe to Denmark, unless some other rides in the UK turn up that are more to my liking i.e. off-road or very quiet roads. Might hit a bike shop tomorrow for some advice and maps, and obviously would appreciate any new advice from you all as well.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sound like what you are looking for is Scotland but it is a wee bit out of the way from Cambridge. You are currently in the flatest bit of Britain at present, as for Denmark, it can best be discribed as grently rolling, but the cycle facilities are very good. Good luck.

EmGee DK

Welcome to Europe ;)

As Hairy Jock says Denmark is gently rolling. This applies to the east though. The western part is mostly very flat, but very impressive. As for the weather right now; its perfect for cycling. The last couple of weeks we've had winds around 5-10 m/s and lots of sun. Temperatures around 12-15 degrees C.

Feel free to contact me if you need information about cycling in Denmark.

Tony

I am off to Holland and Denmark at the end of June, and am looking forward to it. You may well get a bit of a shock on the C2C...tis "scenic".

Top Bottom