Bike pulls to the left, why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'll get some string out later. But really I supose your all right and I will just have to ignor the bank manger and take it to the LBS.

02GF74 said:
the fact that you got dics brake implies you have mountain bike.
It's a hybrid. Trek 7.5fx, no suspension.

fossyant said:
you don't say what the bike is made of -
It's an alloy of some sort I believe. Hydro formed or something:wacko:

bianco said:
You haven't broke your arm have you?
No, why do you ask? Just a couple of brusies and twisted arm!! but arm is fine now and the brusies are pretty much gone.

RedBike said:
Sorry to ask, but are you sure your bars are aligned straight?
Yep, checked that.

Somthing I do find a bit odd, is the other day I noticed that it seems to pull even if the bike isn't moving... As in if I hold the bike upright the steering feels like it wants to turn to the left.

Gary D

It sounds like you could have "Brinnelled" the bearings in the headset.

If the impact was hard enough, it could have forced one or more of the ball bearings in the headset to make a permanent indentation in the ball race. This in effect causes a "notch" which the bearing will always try to find. If this is off-centre, then this could give the impression of the bars pulling in that direction. Particularly as you say this also happens when you are stationary.

Replacement headset is the only remedy.

Gary.

Check that the front wheel is installed in the drop-out correctly then take a look at the clearance between the rim and fork on each side. It should be the same distance either side to within a couple of mm. If it isn't, turn the wheel 180 degrees (so the disc is on the wrong side) and measure again. If the discrepancy is the same then your fork is .. er.. furked. If the discrepancy moves to the other side then your wheel is out of dish. I think its likely to be your fork personally.

Gary D said:
It sounds like you could have "Brinnelled" the bearings in the headset.

If the impact was hard enough, it could have forced one or more of the ball bearings in the headset to make a permanent indentation in the ball race. This in effect causes a "notch" which the bearing will always try to find. If this is off-centre, then this could give the impression of the bars pulling in that direction. Particularly as you say this also happens when you are stationary.

Replacement headset is the only remedy.

Gary.
If the force was great enough to force the bearings into the race the fork must have bent at the crown. Replacement fork is the only remedy actually.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Update: I stripped down the front of the bike. Nothing obviously wrong and when put back together it's not as bad as it was. Still think it has a slight pull to the left so will book it into the LBS, it's due a yearly service any way.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

papercorn2000 said:
Badges of honour - to be worn with pride!

Have to wait for my badge of honour then as I have crahsed a few bikes but never broke a bone.

Top Bottom