Bike pumps!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forwater

I've gotten tired of trying to lug the floor pump with me in the backpack (Yes, I honest-to-goodness do this :sad:. I'm not keen on the idea of a flat far from home without a pump to put air back in!) and have discovered the wonderful world of mini-pumps. There are quite a few, though, and I'm unsure of what to get.

I assume the majority of you take some kind of pump with you, don't you? :rolleyes: Could you suggest a good pump that's in the $20-$30-USD (12.2 - 18.3 pound) range?

jackthelad

Pumps are like bikes the more you can spend the better quality.I have this pump and it pumps up to 120psi no problem with guage to show you ,but it does not come cheap

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-floor-drive-hpg-pump-with-gauge/

I have also the standard lezyne pressure pump and it is great upto about 60psi but after that it is hard work, the one above is no problem going over the 60 psi

hope this helps

evilclive

I've gotten tired of trying to lug the floor pump with me in the backpack (Yes, I honest-to-goodness do this :sad:. I'm not keen on the idea of a flat far from home without a pump to put air back in!) and have discovered the wonderful world of mini-pumps. There are quite a few, though, and I'm unsure of what to get.

I assume the majority of you take some kind of pump with you, don't you? :rolleyes: Could you suggest a good pump that's in the $20-$30-USD (12.2 - 18.3 pound) range?

If you aren't prepared to walk home, definitely take a pump :-)

I like the topeak morph pumps. I got a mini-morph recently for my wife, and that seems pretty good despite the size. I always hated the pumps which connect directly to the valve, even those seemed better than the ones with the fabric-covered hose I used in my childhood.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Topeak Road Morph .

http://www.jensonusa...c=FRGLUK&cc=USD

In your price range as well ...

1182.jpg

Used mine for the 1st time last week and i was really impressed with it.
The little foot peg at the bottom is big enough to stand on and i got my tyre up to pressure in a matter of seconds, no mucking about trying to hold the pump on the valve and very easy compared to the mini pumps that are hard work and fail to get up to the right pressure for road tyres.

You can ones with or without a gauge.

C

chillyuk

I'm a Luddite. I still like the long frame pumps. Half a dozen strokes and you're on your way.

pshore

Topeak Road Morph .

Thumbs up for the Topeak Morphs. I have the Mini Morph.

Yep. I've tried a few and the mini track pump style works very well. I have used the mini morph to pump the touring bike tyres to 60psi and mtb to about 35psi. Any other pump design has made me give up at a pressure that is too low and just enough to get home. I got this pump to make sure I could get enough pressure whilst on a cycle camping tour.

I have not tried the mini morph on 23c 100psi road tyres yet. I suspect that will be hard on the mini morph as it is putting out too much air for each stroke. It should be good for 80psi. I have compromised because I have mtb, touring and road bikes.

I have also snapped a valve core on the style of pumps without a hose so prefer that design too.

Pumps are like bikes the more you can spend the better quality.I have this pump and it pumps up to 120psi no problem with guage to show you ,but it does not come cheap

http://www.wiggle.co...ump-with-gauge/

I have also the standard lezyne pressure pump and it is great upto about 60psi but after that it is hard work, the one above is no problem going over the 60 psi

hope this helps

I was going to post the same one, but I paid less for it http://www.tredz.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?productcode=26275

It's my only pump, and it's small enough to fit discreetly on my folding bike.

26275_1_Zoom.jpg

cyberknight

Yep. I've tried a few and the mini track pump style works very well. I have used the mini morph to pump the touring bike tyres to 60psi and mtb to about 35psi. Any other pump design has made me give up at a pressure that is too low and just enough to get home. I got this pump to make sure I could get enough pressure whilst on a cycle camping tour.

I have not tried the mini morph on 23c 100psi road tyres yet. I suspect that will be hard on the mini morph as it is putting out too much air for each stroke. It should be good for 80psi. I have compromised because I have mtb, touring and road bikes.

I have also snapped a valve core on the style of pumps without a hose so prefer that design too.

I did ok on mine, got up to 90 + psi in under a minute and it was a lot easier than struggling to use a mini pump, sure you could feel the resistance but nowhere near an armbender you get with other pumps.

cyberknight

I did ok on mine road morph, got up to 90 + psi in under a 30 secondsand it was a lot easier than struggling to use a mini pump, sure you could feel the resistance but nowhere near an armbender you get with other pumps.

byegad

Legendary Member
And just to confuse matters I carry a small morph pump and a CO2 inflater. The pump only gets used to put the initial air into the tube before refitting and in a dire emergency when I've used all of the CO2 cartridges.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a Lezyne Road Drive which seems to work, but to get up above 80 PSI takes a bit of effort. It has a flexible hose with a Presta thread, not one of those useless fixed head O ring heads that knacker the valve and/or don't seal.

Rant over..:biggrin:

Top Bottom