Electric bike pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
I've recently had a few pop up adverts for small electric bike pumps, and they look a useful small gadget to add to the saddlebag. Anyone had any good / bad experience with them, or would recommend one?
I normally carry a small pump and a CO2 canister, but one of these could possibly replace the CO2?

ExBrit

Über Member
I've recently had a few pop up adverts for small electric bike pumps, and they look a useful small gadget to add to the saddlebag. Anyone had any good / bad experience with them, or would recommend one?
I normally carry a small pump and a CO2 canister, but one of these could possibly replace the CO2?

I just received a Cycplus electric pump and I'm quite impressed. It will replace 2 CO2 cartridges so it is more eco-friendly and I can fly with it.

ExBrit

Über Member
I expect my pump to be simple, reliable, and guaranteed to be available for use at zero notice. For that reason, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

I agree. This replaces CO2, not the pump. It's nice if you're knackered but on the third flat you're going to wish you had a manual pump too.

MikeG

Guru
Let me add another perspective............and at the same time say that I don't have one of these pumps, nor have I ever seen one in the flesh.

Not everyone is strong enough to pump up tyres with an ordinary manual pump. My wife can't. Arthritic hands, wrists or shoulders preclude an awful lot of people from being able to use a standard pump. So this invention/ development could be ideal for people with physical restrictions.....and it could well be enough to allow my wife to ride alone 30 or 40 miles from home rather than as she presently does, sticking within a 12 or 15 mile radius.

screenman

Legendary Member
Think how many people around the world would be unemployed if people only bought what they needed, not what they wanted. I am still a canister person, but you have just reminded me to have a look at these.

Brandane

Legendary Member
How much do they weigh?
How many inflations do you get per charge?
Can they pump a road tyre to 100psi?
Will it die if it gets wet?
Will it fit in a medium size Topeak saddle pack, along with a multitool, phone, spare tube, patches, etc? (Current pump attaches to frame, out of the way).
Is it Chinese tat that will rattle itself to death on a bike after a week, but you won't know this until you try to use it in the middle of nowhere, miles from home?

These are just a few obvious questions that spring to mind for now...

presta

Guru
Think how many people around the world would be unemployed if people only bought what they needed, not what they wanted.
Think how much better off the environment would be without people buying stuff they don't really need on a whim, then throwing it away when they're bored with it. Think how much more wealth would be available to cover the costs of providing care homes, social housing, insulating homes, fitting heat pumps, investing in public transport, filling potholes etc, all of which we are led to believe are unaffordable in one of the richest countries in the world. And unemployment is only iniquitous when it's shared out unevenly, 20% of workers unemployed: bad, 20% fewer working hours for everyone: good.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not something I'm tempted by. I have a Topeak Road Morph pump and don't use CO2.

But it is bloody hard work getting tyres pumped up at the roadside, even for a relatively fit and healthy individual like me. So I can see there could be a place for them. As @MikeG rightly points out lots of people will have trouble using a small volume roadside pump.

But if I was in that situation I'd probably go with CO2 cartridges because I think they'd be more reliable - less likely to forget to recharge, less prone to vibration damage - and lighter. However, I don't know how easy these cartridges are to use, because I've never used one.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I expect my pump to be simple, reliable, and guaranteed to be available for use at zero notice. For that reason, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

This, no batteries and an added work out. I'll only use Co2 if I need to be somewhere quick - i.e. late for a meeting/appointment, but it must be years since I last used one.

It's less 'stuff' to carry. A decent pump should be all you need.

I have a manual pump in my bag

With an electric one you can never be sure that the battery is full enough - as you use it so seldom (hopefully!) then it tends to migrate to the bottom of the bag and stay there happily discharging slowly

little story - last time I had a problem I swapped my tube and then discovered that my manual pump was broken!!! It had been running around the area with me for ages unused and then - nothing

bike was fine - new tube - just no air in the tyre

Luckily a friendly garage let me use their air stuff to pump it up
Nice people- wich they were closer to home so I could use them for servicing etc!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a small CO2 pump and it's fantastic. Small enough to fit in my hand and it works brilliantly. I wouldn't go back to a pump.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have a Fumpa nano. Works great as a back up to the topeak and will inflate a typical road tyre from flat to hard in 30 secs. Ive used it a couple of times when the topeak gets so far then becomes really hard to get to full pressure. It is about the size of a matchbox. I’d not rely only on the Fumpa but find it reassuring to have a mechanical aid when tired. One warning, don’t use near those of sensitive dispositions as it gives out an enormous farting noise!

Top Bottom