Portable electric pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I’m keen to buy one of those rechargeable, portable, electric bike pumps for our forthcoming tour…a normal pump will get the tyres inflated most of the way but I’d like to finish the job off using an e-pump to get to the correct inflation! Has anyone got any experience of them and recommendations?
Thanks!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just get a decent pump, mountain morph or road morph, and then you won't have any charging to do.

wouldn't it add a lot of weight? how would you charge it? won't there be any gas stations w/ air pumps? how about co2 inflators? I really like mine, even tho I also carry a small frame pump for redundancy

this Genuine Innovations Airchuck is very light & easy to use. I have shrader valves but I believe it works with presta as well

View: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innovations-G2673-Chuck-Inflator/dp/B003BMDI9E

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/...ors/products/air-chuck-co2-bike-tire-inflator

Last edited:
I'm not sure co2 would be good for touring - it leaks out.
If you have the space a track pump is what you need. Cheaper and more reliable than an electric pump.
If not - what about a good old frame pump ?

DogmaStu

I have two electric pumps that work very well.

If you want absolute portability, easy to carry in a pocket or bag on the bike, this is really good:

https://www.fumpapumps.co.uk/

I have the mini one but see they now have an even smaller nano version which is a lovely replacement for C02.

Alternatively, to replace a track pump at home but still portable in a larger bag:

https://www.wiggle.com/p/bosch-easy...2BP5lCLUezwKHoZ2jScaAjI6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They both do the job but obviously the smaller fumpapump is limited in terms of how many tyres in can inflate; typically two.

I also have track pumps but they rarely get used now I have the Bosch pump and small manual pumps with C02 adapters which I use when I want to travel light on my road bike - might get that nano fumpa now though!

Last edited:
I'm not sure co2 would be good for touring - it leaks out.
If you have the space a track pump is what you need. Cheaper and more reliable than an electric pump.
If not - what about a good old frame pump ?

mine have leaked once they were screwed onto the inflator, over time, after the initial use, during a ride, but that doesn't matter because it served it's purpose when I inflated the new or patched tube & I discard the cartridge once the ride is over. I only keep the cartridge attached if I think I'll need to top the tube off a little or if I have a slow leak
but new cartridges don't leak
altho I have had 1 dud straight from the manufacturer, so I always carry extras

Well I did not know it was co !
I was talking about the leaking from the tube rather than the cylinder.
It's great for a quick fix on the road but you'd want to pump them up normally after that.

Well I did not know it was co !
I was talking about the leaking from the tube rather than the cylinder.
It's great for a quick fix on the road but you'd want to pump them up normally after that.

sorry no, I was wrong. I had been corrected some time ago but I guess I mis-remembered the correction. I think I was remembering being corrected about home safety detectors which detect co not co2. co is flammable

& yeah inflating with them is an experience! I guess I'm getting better at it, but it's a little freaky

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Mou...MI6tT59q3F_wIVGtvtCh1ecQVtEAQYAiABEgKJ5_D_BwE

About a quarter of the price of the fumpapump thing, and doesn't need electricity.

DogmaStu

The OP specifically asked for an electric one so presumably knows they are more expensive but wants the convenience. We can all provide countless examples of cheaper manual options if saving money was a major consideration but if electric is desired, then there are some very good ones available.

It's true that a decent track pump will be great at accurately inflating and Topeak make some good ones for those who are happy with manual but sometimes it is nice to have a zero effort option and in my personal experience, electric is ideal and better than using C02 cartridges.

The Bosch pump has replaced my two Topeak track pumps which now sit gathering dust as it is effortless. I check the tyre pressure on my road bike daily (tubeless) since I like it to be accurate every day and it is a great tool. I'd take it with me touring.

For weight-savings, those fumpapump things do a sterling job too but need recharging more frequently - typically the mini and nano are like having 2x C02 cartridges whereas the larger Fumpa and Bosch can handle a lot more.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member

I have one of these and rate it very highly. Unfortunately, despite being pretty feisty, my upper body strength isn't as impressive as yours undoubtedly is...I could do with an e-assist to get my tyres up as high as required for a tour!

I did like the suggestion of popping into a petrol station - that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks whoever said that. Would garage pumps only work on Schraeder or on Prestas too?

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

geocycle

Legendary Member
Interesting thread, I’d no idea about electric pumps but they sound great. The Fumpa ones might be really useful so good to hear they work ok. Shame the small ones don’t have a pressure gauge But you can’t have everything. The Bosch one looks good but maybe a bit heavy for carrying around?

I have one of these and rate it very highly. Unfortunately, despite being pretty feisty, my upper body strength isn't as impressive as yours undoubtedly is...I could do with an e-assist to get my tyres up as high as required for a tour!

I did like the suggestion of popping into a petrol station - that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks whoever said that. Would garage pumps only work on Schraeder or on Prestas too?

How high are you pumping these tyres and what width?

You can get adapters for garage pumps to presta. I've one in my toolkit that goes with me but I've never needed it.

DogmaStu

Interesting thread, I’d no idea about electric pumps but they sound great. The Fumpa ones might be really useful so good to hear they work ok. Shame the small ones don’t have a pressure gauge But you can’t have everything. The Bosch one looks good but maybe a bit heavy for carrying around?

The Bosch one is very good and comes with adapters so that it can be used for pretty much anything. But while small enough to be much more travel-friendly than a track pump, it is a bit big to carry on a bike when riding unless equipped in full touring mode. It isn't heavy actually, it's more about accommodating it in a bag.

Top Bottom