1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Gemma, 11 Feb 2008.

1. Gemma

Gemma New Member

My dad has requested a bike rack for 2 bikes for his birthday in a few weeks time & I know nothing about them! So I need your help...a quick search on the internet revealed there are a few types & based on my dads car I need one that fits onto the back but with no tow bar fitting.

I've seen Saris Sentinal 2 Bike Rack for about £40 & a similar version from Halfords Value Rear Low Mount 2 Cycle Carrier.

Has anyone used/got either of thse or can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced one please?

2. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Around and about
    Does he have roofbars? In fact what type of car has he got, theres high and normal mounted ones. Personally I prefer the roof mounted type, however you will discover the joy of this place is that in a minute someone will come along and disagree.

Save yourself, get out now, before Bonj turns up......................................
  3. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Around and about
    Oh, and with a low one he'll need a lighting plate and number plate to stay legal.
  4. OP

Gemma New Member

He drives a Ford Mondeo Titanium model, no roof rack
  5. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

middle of Norfolk
    Go to

Excellent company. Site has facility to do a search for what bike carrier will fit what vehicle. Good service from the company too.
  6. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

What Waffly said. Mind you, my roof carrier with Aero bars and four carriers came in at the £250 mark...........
  7. Speck

Speck Oldest Teenager In Town

Nr Bath
  8. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

I would happily recommend a Saris Bones. It is really stable, much better than the cheap rack I used to use.
  9. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

South West
    Does he have a towball? If so, it is the most secure way to fit a bike rack (apart from roof bars) 'Thule' make the RideOn for about £65 for 2 bikes and it comes with a working light board. In my experience, ALL racks that strap-on to the rear of the car with 6 straps (2 up, 2 down and 2 to the side) are not so great and the bikes tend to swing about quite a lot - even more so with heavier bikes. I had a Paddy Hopkirk many years ago and with just my Kona MTB it was OK but load it with 3 bikes and it was complete rubbish and UNSAFE.