Bike Racks at Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
I've never vandalized anything, but I get close to it when I arrive at work and find only really difficult spaces in the bike racks left available. This is because about 30% of the bikes appear to be being stored in the racks (and in the prime positions). I know half the problem is that there should be more space, but what can be done about people who store their bikes in bike racks?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Let down their tyres.

Humm - actually hold on minute, maybe such a good idea.

vickster

Legendary Member
Speak to facilities management or HR if there have been bikes there for a month plus without moving?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've never vandalized anything, but I get close to it when I arrive at work and find only really difficult spaces in the bike racks left available. This is because about 30% of the bikes appear to be being stored in the racks (and in the prime positions). I know half the problem is that there should be more space, but what can be done about people who store their bikes in bike racks?
Persuade work to tag 'em with warning notices saying they'll give 'em 2 weeks to demonstrate that the bike hasn't been dumped, then use the angle-grinder-shaped universal key on their locks and leave the bikes against the wall first-come-first-served? :evil:

OP
OP
N

nickr

Über Member
[QUOTE 5298692, member: 45"]Our Facilities team put notes on them saying that if they're not claimed within 4 weeks they'll be removed and given to a local bike charity.[/QUOTE]

There are a few with notices on them, but these have been there for months. I don't think out facilities team has the tools to remove a Ulock.

There are a few with notices on them, but these have been there for months. I don't think out facilities team has the tools to remove a Ulock.

Why not offer to remove them yourself? Just need a little bottle jack or such.

Reminds me of a carrera racer that was parked outside my local lidl for about 9 months with flat tyres. I kind of had it in my head of pinching it and having as a summer commuter bike, but decided I couldn't be that kind of person.. I've had bikes of my own stolen in the past, so know what it's like.. It did eventually disappear - hopefully the owner decided to pump up the tyres and give cycling another chance.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm lucky, and have a choice of 2 covered cycle racks or a locker. Had a similar situation with a bike that had clearly been there for months, advised FM who tagged it. A week later it had been unlocked and moved along a couple of spaces:rolleyes:

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely company wide email is required if the owners dont actually visit the bikes! Worked at my place a few years ago when I complained

Brains

Legendary Member
Argos, for £18.99

upload_2018-7-5_23-13-17.png

Brains

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5303015, member: 45"]How much is 2 mile extension lead?[/QUOTE]

I think if you bring your own generator like the waterproof one below, a 50m extension will be enough

1c827466-7e12-40aa-8c3d-016d4a4f1418

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_20-44-25.png
    upload_2018-7-10_20-44-25.png
    295 KB · Views: 53

Tin Pot

Guru
Don’t steal the bike, just “discover” that the lock has been broken. It’s probably £5 cable locks that all have the same key so don’t even need breaking. Or even more fun - combination locks.

(Google is your friend)

Top Bottom