Bike racks - help a non-cyclist out!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would say up on roof, particularly if your car has rails already, but being a Zaffy you'd likely need to be extremely tall for that to be viable.

Avoid anything that straps to the rear thats rests upon or has any contact with the glass in the tailgate. Most coppers have been to at least one job where the glass has broken, the carrier has flopped about and deposited the bikes on the tarmac or dragged them aling behind the car.

A towbar mounted system is liable to be the safest, most convenient option. Even if you don't have a towbar it's worth the expense of having one fitted if you're intent on carrying bicycles. The last thing you want is to be transporting bicycles inside the car where they can cause you serious grief as they become large, heavy, jagged missiles on the event of an accident.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I’m pretty sure the higher quality tow bar mounted racks have a system where the bikes are locked to the rack. My Thule roof system does this.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I used a four bike tow bar mounted rack for years, it was worth every penny. At the time drove a Renault Espace. I forget how much we paid but do remember being delighted to sell on at £100 after about 6-7 years use. There is a two bike version. A highly recommended system.

https://pbr.co.uk/collections/bike-racks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The last thing you want is to be transporting bicycles inside the car where they can cause you serious grief as they become large, heavy, jagged missiles on the event of an accident.
Or better yet, use the strapping points in most large car boots to secure the load and stop it becoming missiles.

I agree about not resting on the glass but I do have a "piggy back" rack which rests on roof and rear door and straps around the door. Peruzzo are good for Italian makes of car, but maybe not relevant here.

Drago

Legendary Member
Or better yet, use the strapping points in most large car boots to secure the load and stop it becoming missiles.
Ive had a Zafira (I actually quite liked it) and can confirm the points are for attaching a bungee net to stop stuff sliding around the boot floor. They're not up to the job of withstanding dozens or even hundreds of kg's of force being suddenly applied.

The second issue is that with a cabin full of bikes you then need to be like that stretchy chap from the Fantastic 4 to access most of the points anyway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ive had a Zafira (I actually quite liked it) and can confirm the points are for attaching a bungee net to stop stuff sliding around the boot floor. They're not up to the job of withstanding dozens or even hundreds of kg's of force being suddenly applied.

The second issue is that with a cabin full of bikes you then need to be like that stretchy chap from the Fantastic 4 to access most of the points anyway.
Cargo strap attachment points that aren't really up to the job and are difficult to access? Sounds like the famous Vauxhall-Opel design quality continues to this day! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom