Bike re-spray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have stripped down an old Steel road frame which I really like and want to respray. I think it is worth re-building as all the parts are in good order and it is a really useful spare bike. I took off most of the components (OK, so I'm kidding myself - I can't get the crankset off). Anyways, I have tried using some Nitromors to soften and remove the paint. In some areas it is working and in others it does not. I was careful to follow the instructions.

I have now totally made a mess of the frame with bare steel in some places and messed up paint in others. I have now bought some new paint stripper but it is completely useless.

Whatever is on this bike, it aint coming off. I have tried scratching the surface before applying the remover, as it gets under the paint and works better, but it is stubborn. I guess it must have been powder coated?

I guess what I need to do is work in smaller sections and use better paint stripper.

I plan to get it back to metal, prime and can spray - then lacquer.

What to do!

Rooster1

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have stripped down an old Steel road frame which I really like and want to respray. I think it is worth re-building as all the parts are in good order and it is a really useful spare bike. I took off most of the components (OK, so I'm kidding myself - I can't get the crankset off). Anyways, I have tried using some Nitromors to soften and remove the paint. In some areas it is working and in others it does not. I was careful to follow the instructions.

I have now totally made a mess of the frame with bare steel in some places and messed up paint in others. I have now bought some new paint stripper but it is completely useless.

Whatever is on this bike, it aint coming off. I have tried scratching the surface before applying the remover, as it gets under the paint and works better, but it is stubborn. I guess it must have been powder coated?

I guess what I need to do is work in smaller sections and use better paint stripper.

I plan to get it back to metal, prime and can spray - then lacquer.

What to do!

I think I read somewhere that other than sand blasting it was almost impossible to remove factory paint from older bikes. I think most DIY'ers just rub down the paint as best they can, then rust proof, prime and paint using wet and dry between coats. I could be wrong, I expect somone will be along to correct me momentarilly.

Rooster1

I think I read somewhere that other than sand blasting it was almost impossible to remove factory paint from older bikes. I think most DIY'ers just rub down the paint as best they can, then rust proof, prime and paint using wet and dry between coats. I could be wrong, I expect somone will be along to correct me momentarilly.

I think you might be right. I will clean up the mess I've made, give it the best sand I can and add back the paint. I will get a good finish eventually.

It's possible if you use a coarse enough sandpaper - but why would you want to do it? If the paint is on so well that even coarse sand paper isn't shifting it easily you might as well leave it on as a "primer" layer.

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 2983202, member: 45"]Powder coat?[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: I took my lads eldest sons bike apart and dropped the frame and forks off at a local standard blaster/painter/powder place. He chose Kawasaki green for the frame and black on the forks. It looked fantastic and cost £35.

Top Bottom