Bike recommendation and your advise for a begginer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexZin

Hi all, new to the forum and road biking and looking for some advice.

A little bit about myself. I am Dutch, 60 years old and living in Cyprus. I am a very good shape and I am active sporty person. I have ridden bikes since I was a boy (its natural when you are living in Amsterdam😂 ) but it was more for transportation not for sport. Ultimately I am willing to get into real active cycling.

I am getting into road biking and am on the prowl for my first bike, and I am completely stumped after a month or two of research. I’ve been to a few local shops, was talking to couple of friends who are in road cycling and watch numerous videos and picked up some really good information but I’m no closer to a decision as the choice and range of price Is so vast.

So far I think that I will probably stay on a tarmac for 80% and 20% on a light gravel. Cyprus is a hilly country. I am not a competition type, so top speed is less important, I do not plan bike touring or long cycling days (100K +). I am more in fitness and training. But I want my a really good one, that will give pleasure and enjoyment of cycling. Some friend told me to look for endurance or gravel bike and I think its the right direction. My budget is arr. EUR 2.500.

Eventually there is an option to buy brand new but cheaper bike or used bike of higher quality.
Meantime a friend of mine is selling second hand bike Scott Addict 10 Gravel 2019. Bike is in excellent condition, he cycle it less that 1000km in total.

Asking price EUR 2.900 . In 2019 my friend bought it brand new from the Scott dealer and paid EUR 4.000 + MTB pedals. Technical details and link below.

Please let me know what do you think about this bike an the price. I can probably negotiate another few hundred off.

Its a bit more than I originally plan to spend. Alternatively I can buy a new good al. bike for ab. 2.000. But if it is really good bike and right price I can go up and invest more into my new hobby

https://www.highlandbikes.com/bikes...ravel-10-2019-gravel-bike-yellow-black__13238

SCOTT ADDICT GRAVEL 10 MY2019:

Key Features:

HMF Carbon fibre frame with gravel race geometry

Full Carbon HMF fork for agile and nimble steering

SRAM Force 1 1x11 drivetrain

SRAM Force 1 hydraulic disc brakes give confident all-weather braking

Syncros deep carbon wheelset

Sizes: 49, 52, 54, 56, 58cm

Colour: Yellow/Black

Specification

Frame:Addict Gravel Disc HMX / IMP Carbon technology / Gravel Race geometry / Replaceable Dropout
Fork:Addict Gravel Disc HMX Flatmount / 1 1/8"-1 1/4" tapered Carbon steerer / Alloy Dropout
Headset:Syncros Integrated
Stem:Syncros RR1.5 1 1/8" / four Bolt 31.8mm
Bars:Syncros Creston SL Flare / Carbon 31.8mm
Front Brake:SRAM Force 1 Hydraulic Disc 160/F and 160/R mm Centerline Rotor
Rear Brake:SRAM Force 1 Hydraulic Disc 160/F and 160/R mm Centerline Rotor
Rear Mech:SRAM Force 1 11 Speed long cage
Shifters:SRAM Force 1 Hydraulic Disc 11 Speed
Speed:11
Front Hub:Syncros Meritt 1.0 35 Disc / 18 Front / 24 Rear / Syncros Plug-in RWS
Rear Hub:Syncros Meritt 1.0 35 Disc / 18 Front / 24 Rear / Syncros Plug-in RWS
Front Tyre:Schwalbe G-ONE Allround FOLD 700x35C
Rear Tyre:Schwalbe G-ONE Allround FOLD 700x35C
Seat Post:Syncros Carbon FL1.0 27.2/350mm
Saddle:Syncros Tofino T-Cutout 1.0
Chainset:SRAM Force 1 42T
Bottom Bracket:SRAM PF86 GXP
Chain:SRAM PC 1170
Cassette:SRAM XG 1195 10-42
Weight:Approx 7.62kg / 16.80lbs

For your comments and advice thank you very much in advance

Alex

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Alex and welcome to CC.

Your friends bike looks like a nice. It's a higher end bike with a carbon frame and good components but do you really need anything like that for starters?
You could buy a pretty decent new aluminium framed gravel bike for about half that. It's up to you though.
Bikes are suffering supply problems at the moment so you'll have to see what's available in your area.
Is the Scott your size? Getting the correct fit is all important when buying.
You could also consider a hybrid which would have straight bars. What's your preference? You should at least try both.

iluvmybike

Ãœber Member
The Scott cf frames are excellent - we have 2 of the Scott Solace road bikes. Be aware though that SRAM equipment is much more expensive than Shimano - so think about ongoing maintenance costs

Alex321

Veteran
My only concern about the Scott would be the gearing - there are going to be some massive jumps between gears with an 11-42 1x drivetrain. Maybe just a personal thing but I'd hate that.

Agreed. I don't think a 1x is a good choice if you are going to be riding mainly on road. And a 42x11 top gear means you will be spinning out on even quite shallow downhills on road.

I'd be looking for something with a 50/34 or 46/30 on the front and 11-34 on the rear for the sort of usage you are talking. Most 2x gravel bikes will come with a 46/30, most road bikes now will be 50/34, particularly the ones marketed as "endurance" bikes. 50/34 & 11-34 gives the same lowest gear as the Addict, but smaller gaps and a bigger top gear.

iluvmybike

Ãœber Member
Agreed. I don't think a 1x is a good choice if you are going to be riding mainly on road. And a 42x11 top gear means you will be spinning out on even quite shallow downhills on road.

I'd be looking for something with a 50/34 or 46/30 on the front and 11-34 on the rear for the sort of usage you are talking. Most 2x gravel bikes will come with a 46/30, most road bikes now will be 50/34, particularly the ones marketed as "endurance" bikes. 50/34 & 11-34 gives the same lowest gear as the Addict, but smaller gaps and a bigger top gear.
Yep agree - for road use have a 50t-34t and use an 11-34. That gets me up pretty much anything whilst allowing me to take advantage of downs and flat roads without spinning out - and I'm an old lady! I think I'd struggle with a 1x

DRM

Guru
Yep agree - for road use have a 50t-34t and use an 11-34. That gets me up pretty much anything whilst allowing me to take advantage of downs and flat roads without spinning out - and I'm an old lady! I think I'd struggle with a 1x
If it was me having seen some of the Cypriot hills, I’d be looking for a gravel bike with GRX group set, with a 46/30 chain set, I think a gravel bike would be perfect for exploring the trails, and going on road as well, SRAM is a really good group set, but the cost of replacement parts is frightening to say the least, I see you’re in Limassol and iirc the Town is quite flat but to the north and west it’s quite hilly, the bike you’ve linked to is very nice by the way, but as others have said there will be some big gaps in the gearing

Top Bottom