Bike recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexeix

Hi,

As per earlier post, I'm doing LEJOG next summer and since my company participates in the government's cycle to work scheme, I'm going to leave my Specialized Rockhopper at home and treat myself to a road bike for that extra comfort and speed.

My budget is up to £700, but the only thing to catch my eye so far, is the Specialized Tricross.

Is that going to be a good bike for the job?

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

The budget is not very flexible unfortunately and since we have no support vehicle, we'll be carrying our own gear on panniers (and travelling light!).
Thanks in advance.

Bandini

I am no great expert, but I just got a Dawes Karakum, and I love it. Really comfortable, good spec for the money, and the butterfly bars offer lots of comfortable positions. And made for carrying gear.

Course, it is not as funky as the tricross.

OP
OP
A

alexeix

Change of plan...we now have a support vehicle, so I can get an outright road racer.
Need something fast and we won't have to carry anything except water.

Specialized Allez???

aberal

Guru
alexeix said:
Specialized Allez???

As good as any - but you need to read reviews and hone the choices down to 2 or 3 then go test ride them. It's surprising how different apparently similarly specced bikes can feel. My only query about your choice of bike would be to wonder whether a full blown racer is what you really need. What kind of cycling will you be doing after the event - if more touring then you might want to opt for something that would allow you to do that as well as being lightweight and speedy - the Tricross would do that or some other similar cyclo-cross bike.

OP
OP
A

alexeix

After the event, this bike will just be for exercise.

I think I'll hang up my touring boots after that.

andrew miners

depends how qucikly and how much discomfort you are willing to put up with, we,re doing lejog and back 2010 on full blown road bikes with support for lightness and cover the mileage 180 plus per day.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
aberal said:
As good as any - but you need to read reviews and hone the choices down to 2 or 3 then go test ride them. It's surprising how different apparently similarly specced bikes can feel. My only query about your choice of bike would be to wonder whether a full blown racer is what you really need. What kind of cycling will you be doing after the event - if more touring then you might want to opt for something that would allow you to do that as well as being lightweight and speedy - the Tricross would do that or some other similar cyclo-cross bike.

The Specialized Secteur is probably a better choice over their Allez range. Although for Lejog the most popular by far are the more robust Tricross and Sirrus ranges, they can also take guards, a important consideration for many on a two week tour
Allez:
Secteur_Allez_Sport_27_300.jpg

Secteur
Secteur_Sport_300.jpg

Tricross

Specialized_Tricross_300.jpg

Sirrus
Specialized_Sirrus_Elite_300.jpg

Mudguards are a consideration; rainy days are quite common!
3387316043_a42ca229e8_o.jpg

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom