bike rides starting from Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark 1

dear fellow peddlers, I am planning to spend a weekend in Sheffield at the end of May 2013, my wife will be on a course during the two days (Sat & Sun), I'm planning to take my road bike and take this opportunity to get a few miles in and explore the area. Does anyone know of any good routes? I would like to stay on the roads, as opposed to off-road tracks etc., and I prefer roads with less traffic. An ideal destination would be approx. 30 miles - a couple of hours or so ride there, lunch, then cycle back in the afternoon. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. We will be staying in West Sheffield.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
In this weeks comic Malcom Elliot has a ride out of Sheffield, or

ping Marinyork he did a good Strines ride a few years back.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You could head out towards Hathersage, Hope and Castleton. Nice around there and plenty of opportunity for a nice lunch. Go out along Eccleshall Road and beside Endcliffe Park iirc.

Mapster1989

Many different routes that you can take. Check out my Strava to see my rides as I normally frequent Sheffield and the surrounding ares as a resident of Sheffield myself.

You can head out on Abbeydale road or Ecclesall Rd/Hathersage Rd or Ringinglow Rd or A57. All routes will eventually take you out to Castleton which as a previous poster said, is a nice place for a bite to eat.

Alternatively you can join the Rutland CC which meet on Ecclesall Rd at the end of Bents Rd. They have two rides that cover around 40 miles. One is the 'Teacake' which averages around 16 -17mph and a 'Steadycake' which covers the same distance but at around 15 mph. Both rides meet at 9am and both include a cafè stop.

Let me know if you want more details.

Top Bottom