Bike sat nav ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redstev

Regular
Hi all
How do you all navigate ?
I'm new to biking and I also have moved recently so don't know a lot of routes where I live.
Is there a app that I can use on my iPhone to navigate routes or is a Garmin the way to go.
Ideally I'd like something that would talk me through routes as I'm useless at map reading.
If anyone can recommend a app or devise it would be helpful.
Many thanks.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Garmin touring or etrex 20 or 30

OP
OP
R

Redstev

Regular
Mmmm think edge 1000 is possibly out of my price range.
Quite like the look of the Garmin touring though, seen it for £150 at Chain Reaction.
Thanks for advise guys.

mattobrien

Guru
I have a Garmin 820, which will give directions and prompts to turnings etc. I think it can be had for around £270, although cheaper models may achieve what you want for less money

jnrmczip

@jnrmczip has a Garmin Edge 1000 for sale in the classifieds HERE, not sure if you can push your budget though.

I'm very tempted by it myslef but I'm skint, unless @jnrmczip fancies a swap deal for an iPhone 6s ;)

I'm not a fan of the iPhone 6 and currently own a Samsung s7 edge but thanks for sharing the link to garmin

I'm not a fan of the iPhone 6 and currently own a Samsung s7 edge but thanks for sharing the link to garmin
Hahaha worth a try. I've just given an S7 Edge to Mrs Smoo as it just felt too delicate in my shovel hands, especially after using a Note 4 for a couple of years.

If I had the money, (or if you've still got the 1000 when the iPhone sells), I might just be getting in touch.

jnrmczip

Hahaha worth a try. I've just given an S7 Edge to Mrs Smoo as it just felt too delicate in my shovel hands, especially after using a Note 4 for a couple of years.

If I had the money, (or if you've still got the 1000 when the iPhone sells), I might just be getting in touch.
Hope to hear from you soon and hope you get the sale.
Yeh the edge is a bit delicate I'll give you that

broady

Veteran
Mmmm think edge 1000 is possibly out of my price range.
Quite like the look of the Garmin touring though, seen it for £150 at Chain Reaction.
Thanks for advise guys.

I've just sold my Garmin 1000 explorer for £150 (new owner very happy), so keep an eye out secondhand.

I feel the one in for sale section is over priced IMO as it doesn't even come with the performance pack (speed / cadence sensor and heart rate monitor).

I'd also prefer an 800 or 810 over the garmin touring. The 810 was sold at Aldi for £160 or something not long ago brand new

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I have a Teasi One 3 which you can get for about £150. Works well for navigation - it beeps in advance of turns. Uses open cycle maps, and can link to Bluetooth LE sensors.

Only problems I've found are that it can be a bit slow when finding a destination on the unit itself (I tend to use the desktop app and upload routes to it).

Top Bottom