Bike security at work...any good info sites?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Apparently there have been some cycle-thefts recently on our Business park. This has been a rare occurence and as a consequence cycle-security at work is not as good and vigilant as it could-be. The cycle-stands are the old wheel benders...OK when the factory was built maybe, but not now. There are very few places to lock a frame too.
Will try and get better provisions, but anything that helps the cycle-to-shift workers will be a bonus.

Cheers.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sheldon Brown's lock strategy is a good read.

Linked from that is This page, from the MIT bike user group, which is good too

RedBike

I found the easyiest way was to put the rear wheel in the stand, then lock the both the rear wheel and the rear triangle of the frame to the cycle stand. Wasn't that secure though.

I've just ridden my new bike into work for the first time today!!. I've had to lock it to a tool cupboard in the companies workshops (quite a way from my office). I know full well it would take someone all of 30sec to cut it loose using the tools that in that cupboard. I'm so worried I've just brought everyone biscuits in the vain hope it will make the difference between my bike being there when I get back or not!

domtyler

Über Member
RedBike said:
I found the easyiest way was to put the rear wheel in the stand, then lock the both the rear wheel and the rear triangle of the frame to the cycle stand. Wasn't that secure though.

That's what I do using a D lock and then use an additional cable to secure the front wheel.

simoncc

There was a interesting article in the latest CTC mag on bike theft. The verdict was that any lock can be broken quickly, even the most expensive gold rated U locks. Chains and cables are next to worthless apparently. To stop an expensive U lock being broken by a bottle jack the mag says use a short lock and fill it up with frame tubes and wheels to remove the space needed for the bottle jack.

Another top tip was to ride a scruffy, rusty, non-MTB bike with unfashionable drop handlebars if you have to leave it locked in a public place.

A

another_dave_b

simoncc said:
Another top tip was to ride a scruffy, rusty, non-MTB bike with unfashionable drop handlebars if you have to leave it locked in a public place.

Boris Johnson made a good article out of advice like that:

Boris Johnson said:
When someone's bicycle is stolen the discussion is entirely about what he or she could have done to prevent it. The police talk about the need for tougher locks, and special serial numbers, and the cycling experts give out various bits of anti-theft advice. Don't have a bike that's too flash, they say. Try painting it some depressing colour, like orange or purple. Try having a basket at the front, they say, or mudguards, or anything to make your bike look a bit grungy and unappealing.

All of which advice may be well meant, but somehow makes me pop with rage, because we seem continually to be ascribing responsibility for the event to the victim, and ignoring the critical point. It wasn't some supernatural agency that nicked your bike, or nicked my bike. It wasn't oompa-loompas or fairies or bike elves. It was thieves.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When I was contracting, the company only had the wheel benders, so I'd park the bike next to them, detach front wheel and manage to get the d-lock through both wheels, rear triangle, and both sides of the cycle stand.... although the stands are rubbish - thin steel. Got the big sheffield stands at my new work with two gold standard locks, although the bike is in a very public place - fortunately, one of my colleagues offices overlooks the stands.

Top Bottom