Bike security camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
For E bike removable Batteries keep them in the tent.

I'd lock the bikes up near to the campsite buildings /fence/tree and camp as close as possible with usual bike security precautions.

I also have 5m cable lock the I loop through the bikes and put under the tent so if you start pulling the bikes it disturbs the sleeper.

I'd also speak to your insurers and find out what they demand.... meet those requirements and sleep easy and let them worry.

I find campsite folk usually pretty honest and community minded. Mosy I've ever had stolen at a campsite is a bottle of detergent / shampoo that I left behind at the facilities.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
For E bike removable Batteries keep them in the tent.

I'd lock the bikes up near to the campsite buildings /fence/tree and camp as close as possible with usual bike security precautions.

I also have 5m cable lock the I loop through the bikes and put under the tent so if you start pulling the bikes it disturbs the sleeper.

I'd also speak to your insurers and find out what they demand.... meet those requirements and sleep easy and let them worry.

I find campsite folk usually pretty honest and community minded. Mosy I've ever had stolen at a campsite is a bottle of detergent / shampoo that I left behind at the facilities.

Thanks for sharing that, very helpful. I will be getting insurance sorted and make sure I meet what they specify.

Tom B

Guru
Thanks for sharing that, very helpful. I will be getting insurance sorted and make sure I meet what they specify.

If you aren't yet insured. Consider adding it to Home and Contents. I Find it without exception a faff, but cheaper than a bespoke policy (non ebike).

But shop around the policies for the more and least onerous & sensible terms.

If in doubt contact the insurer and ask for clarification before buying.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bike thefts on campsites are almost unheard of but it doesn't hurt to take precautions.
I've used a rape alarm on occasion. Tie one end of the alarm to your body (wrist/sleeping bag zip etc) and one to the bike. When the pin in the alarm gets pulled out cover your ears. They're damn loud. Make sure the string to your wrist is long enough for wriggling about in bed.

If you aren't yet insured. Consider adding it to Home and Contents. I Find it without exception a faff, but cheaper than a bespoke policy (non ebike).

But shop around the policies for the more and least onerous & sensible terms.

If in doubt contact the insurer and ask for clarification before buying.

Yes - and make sure it covers ebikes
One year I found that my home insurance would cover any normal bike - even the extreme road bikes weighing the same as a gnat and costing many thousands
but they would not cover even the cheapest ebike
That company has changed their policy - but still worth checking
also make a note of teh date and time that you speak to them - then if you have to claim you can refer back to it and they can find it and check what they said

I’m planning the first overnight camping trip with my e bike. I’m looking at Weymouth (UK) and I’ll need a campsite with electricity to charge the bike. It’ll be me, my partner, two bikes and a tent. Could anyone share how you secure your bikes?
Have you cyclecamped before?

I'd imagine that the answer to this depends very much on your style of camping, the places you like to camp and your experience.

If you're dipping your toes into cyclecamping for the first time, especially with the view to doing more of it, I'd be suggesting a lot of up-front planning with a view to learning-on-the-go.

The first thing will be charging. Will you need your own power point or can you charge the batteries in reception?
The second is bike security. Will you ride to a place, set up and then go wandering either to explore, to eat/drink, perhaps on the bike or on foot?
It seems to me that the first question is to determine what, if any, facilities the campground will offer for secure storage of the bikes. That will help narrow down options. Tied into that are any security obligations placed by any bike insurance you may have.

If I have a choice of pitches I prefer somewhere where I have something solid to lock a bike to that is close to my tent. I prefer a location away from the entrance/exit. I'll often use my bike as part of a clothesline setup and leave things draped over it. I use (non-hooked) bungee cords which I'll weave in and around spokes etc. that make it slightly awkward and noisy to undo, especially in the dark.
I have never run a cable from the bike to me while I slept, but sometimes I have connected the bike to the tent/guylines.

I think it's always a good idea to become familiar with any neighbours and to learn to trust my gut. I don't recall having any serious bike issues in campgrounds.

I think if you start slow, know exactly what you are booking and just get used to the idea that you're not at home anymore you can embrace the difference and come to enjoy it.

Good luck!

Top Bottom