Bike security - chipping, data tagging etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My bike was tagged...and stolen. These might act as a deterrent but are ultimately only useful if the bike is recovered. Free police marking won't do any harm (other than to the paintwork potentially), I am not sure about electronic chipping but again, just useful if recovered (unless it works like a tracker on a car?!)

Good locks are the best thing (and preferably two different types of lock), not leaving the bike for a long time at a theft hotspot (like a station) and having it fully insured. Unfortunately, if someone is determined enough, chances are they'll nick the bike and if lucky, you may get it back

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
My bike was tagged...and stolen. These might act as a deterrent but are ultimately only useful if the bike is recovered. Free police marking won't do any harm (other than to the paintwork potentially), I am not sure about electronic chipping but again, just useful if recovered (unless it works like a tracker on a car?!)

Good locks are the best thing (and preferably two different types of lock), not leaving the bike for a long time at a theft hotspot (like a station) and having it fully insured. Unfortunately, if someone is determined enough, chances are they'll nick the bike and if lucky, you may get it back
This is my view also, police are so crap at recovering bikes, I'm not sure I see the oint in chipping it.
Not a bike, but I know of a youngster who had his ipod touch stolen. It had some tracking app on it so his Dad knew exactly where it was and told the police who weren't even the slightest bit iterested in investigating and recovering his stolen property.

I've sent a message to my local police team asking how they trace owners of stolen bikes.

Top Bottom