Bike Security - Garage Door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
I have a simple up and over double garage door. Any suggestions for modification to the door or addition of products that would make the door harder to open to deter would be thieves?

Thanks.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes, I considered those Mr Paul but unfortunately the ground has a curved lip immediately outside the garage door which would make this difficult if not impossible to fit.

skwerl

shooting bolt on door that slides into hole in frame
if you're handy when it comes to DIY then a couple of mortice locks fixed into the sides on the rear side of the door. That way they do the same job as the shooting bolts but are pretty much invisible to the casual, dodgy observer

classic33

Leg End Member
Try hooking one of these to the inside of the door. Seperatekey can be used to turn it off before touching the door.

col

Legendary Member
Because the corners can be bent up i would go for a length of wood or metal,that slots into hooks on the inside of the door,like used on big wooden doors of old.

TimO

Guru
...or don't bother trying to make the door more thief proof, just fit a ground anchor or similar and use a suitably stupidly big lock to secure your bike(s).

Number14

Veteran
Got an alarm in your house? Put a sensor in the garage or, failing that, wire the garage door handle up to the mains electricity supply. :smile:

TimO said:
...or don't bother trying to make the door more thief proof, just fit a ground anchor or similar and use a suitably stupidly big lock to secure your bike(s).

What Tim said. Get a great big anchor and a great big lock and use them every time. Plus a motion sensor camera that emails straight to your hotmail account. If I had all this, I'd still have my downhill bike!

MarkF

Guru
TimO said:

My bikes were easily stolen because I was lazy but my morobike was stolen with the following:-

Disc locks front & rear.
Good quality U locks through front & rear wheels.
Front wheel chained to frame downtubes.
Bike chained to anchored ground lock.

Stopping them or at least making it difficult for them to gain entry is the key to bike security IMO.

domtyler

Über Member
Agree with the above, once they are through the door they have time to work on your ground anchors in private with power tools. A strong door and an alarm/camera will deter all but the most professional thief.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a heavy steel hasp with a shielded padlock on the top of the door. The lock is bolted through the frame of the door and recessed flush with the door - when the lock is closed, any bolts are covered and the lock is cut resistant. The best bike is secured by a ground anchor.

DLB

i came back from a weekend away to find the shed door had been forced open. power tools and my cateye £45 light had gone along with a few other cycling bits but they didn't take the bikes. both were secured to the sides of teh sheds by a hasp which i got from the local DIY shop for £2 each.

Since the break in the shed door has been reinforced, i've bought a shed alarm from B and Q (£10) and a proper anchor Master Anchor (£15 ) from Band Q also.

oh and i've also put a sign on the shed saying it is alarmed

Even if they break in now i doubt they'll get the bikes.

DLB

M Paul - yes i thought about the pros and cons of the sign. My thinking is that most thieves will think it is not worth the effort and go and try elsewhere.

Top Bottom