Bike Security Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have 2 bikes one Giant MTB only worth about £150.00 and a Dawes Ultra Galaxy only cost me £350.00 but its replacement value is nearer £1800.00 so I decided to find out what i was covered for under my house insurance.

Under my insurance I am covered for upto £500.00 per bike with no special conditions which obviously doesnt cover the replacement value of the Galaxy. In order to fully cover the Galaxy I need to secure the bikes to an "Immovable Object", the bikes live in a wooden shed which the insurance company say is not an "Immovable Object" so I came up with the idea of cutting a hole in the floor of the shed and securing a Torc Ground Anchor into the concrete the shed is stood on. Here is the Torc Ground Anchor :

TorcII-TopView-lrg.jpg

The ground anchor has Gold Secure bicycle accreditation so no problem there then I though I would get the Abus Granit X Plus 54 lock as that is also Gold Secure but then I would need a Gold Secure Chain, evans are currently selling this abus lock and chain pack for £79.99 ->

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

abus-granit-x-plus-54-chain-lock-combination.jpg

which looks like a good deal but it doesnt say of the chain is Gold Secure or not. So has anyone else got this chain and is it a Gold Secure chain ? or has anyone else had to get this kind of security for a wooden shed and what did you get ?

I should mention that I will probably be getting a third bike in the next year or so which will be around the £2000.00 price range so i will definatly have to go down this road or my insurance company will not cover the third bike.

Tynan

Veteran
you can get a real solid ground anchor cheap on ebay, I did

and why bother with a bike chinan/lock when it's for your shed? go to a locksmith/hardware place and get a heavy duty lock and chain for a fractionof the price

3tyretrackterry

you could use an ABUS GRANIT 1000/100 sold secure gold lock instead of a chain this should tick all the boxes for the insurance especially if used withthe D lock mentioned above
hope this helps

Top Bottom