Bike security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
There is only so much we can do to stop our pride and joys being stolen, either from outside a shop or in you own home,shed or garage. But how do you secure it when at home? And do you have any identity markings on it so you know its yours? I don't want to know the markings but just wondered. Can you register you bike with like a tracker system or similar?

Chris-H

Über Member
Wer'e quite lucky in that we live in a little village thats virtually crime free,however pretty much most of the crime commited is by our next door but one neighbour..........when he's out of prison.So other than our fairly aggressive German Shepard(until she knows your ok) we have taken extra measures with our bikes.I've used ground anchors designed for securing motorbikes and a very hefty chain and padlock,bolted the anchors to the wall using coach bolts long enough to go right through the wall welded the nuts on to the bolts outside.
So now the only way someone will nick the bikes is either to cut through the chain/lock or anchor with a very noisy disc cutter or cut the frame of the bike which defeats the object of nicking it.Total cost for 2 bikes was less than £50.If they want your bike and are determined enough then they'll get it.All we can do is make it as difficult as possible.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Yes your right, its sad we have to think like this. Mine is stored in the shed, and I need to sort security of it today. Might even put electric to the chain securing it lol

Sandra6

Veteran
We keep our "good" bikes in side, the others are locked together in the yard.
I have a barcode thing from the police on mine but I really should make a note of the serial number.
There is a "tag" thing you can get that goes in the seat post that you register your details with, so if it's stolen and recovered you can prove it's yours. Doesn't help if it isn't found though.

Chris-H

Über Member
Seeing as I'm coming to yours later today Chris, I'm bloody glad you mentioned the large dog!!!
^_^She's absolutely fine mate,i just would'nt want to be climbing through the kitchen window in the middle of the night,and she's not big so no worrys there ^_^

Chris-H

Über Member
Heres a couple of pics to give you an idea.The bike are in a brick shed but you can use the same process for a timber shed,they'll have to rip the shed apart to get the bike away.
bth_Bianchilock_zps2e6211f4.jpg

bth_Giantlock_zpsf3fb33e8.jpg

Top Bottom