Bike service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
DSCN1064.JPG
I'm having trouble with my gears,my rear cassette is 11-42T my chain ring is 28-38-48T.My derailleur is a shimano deore,i cant seem to sellect top or bottom gear on my cassette.i dont know anything about the bike i only bought it last year,so don't know if its original.I ordered all new inner and outer cables,also thinking of buying a new derailleur. Will this be ok? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore-XT-10-speed-derailleur-RD-M786-VIA-great-cond... and this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Acera-FC-M361-22-32-42T-Chainset-Crank-170mm-Triple...

Attachments

• DSCN1071.JPG
    DSCN1071.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 45

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Did it ever work?

I wouldn't go for the new derailleur and crankset before you've tried replacing the cables. Photos of the rear derailleur when you're trying and failing to select top or bottom might help, if you can.

If you disconnect the cable from the rear mech, can you move the mech by hand onto the top and bottom sprockets?
This test might help to determine if the fault lies with the mech itself or the cable/levers.
Took the cable off,pushed the derailleur by hand and it won't sellect the top and bottom gears.My thinking it's not the right one for a 9 speed cassette.

Sharky

Guru
Is it hitting the high/low stops? You should find some screws which you can slacken off to allow the mech to move further across.
Explore from underneath, so you can see what's stopping it.

Good luck

Is it hitting the high/low stops? You should find some screws which you can slacken off to allow the mech to move further across.
Explore from underneath, so you can see what's stopping it.

Good luck
The adjusters worked.Thanks.There's a bit of play in the cassette,just a bit.is that normal.

Last edited:

gazza1286

Is it possible that the b screw needs adjusting. When trying the lowest (largest) sprocket, does the chain snag on the upper guide wheel on the derailleur cage? The image suggests that it might. Tightening this (after first slackening the hex bolt onto the hanger) will give some extra clearance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Quite surprised that your cassette is 11-42 (NB 9 speed). That implies that your RD is managing a range of 51 (42-11=31; 48-28=20). Suspect 11-32 (and I can count 8 teeth in a quadrant of the image).
I would try to get the indexing sorted ie adjusted properly before replacing the cable.
Took the cable off,pushed the derailleur by hand and it won't sellect the top and bottom gears.My thinking it's not the right one for a 9 speed cassette.
You have two limit screws: an H and an L. Unscrew them a couple of turns. Then index the gears - plenty of videos to help you (search for yourself) - needs a bit of patience.
the chain ring is very worn so need a new one
Recommend, before precipitate purchase, you take photo (from the side) of the chainring (teeth) and post it for us to assess. Which of the three chainrings btw?
As @bikingdad90 says: the outer cable is way too short - when you replace the cable, replace the outer at the same time and give it more of a loop - an extra 5cm, perhaps.
There'sit of play in the cassette,just a bit.is that normal.
Can you be more explicit, please? play side-to-side? is the lockring tight? Maybe you need a spacer in there (depends on depth of freehub).

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wonder if the cassette fitted is beyond the capacity of the rear mech so the biggest sprocket has been 'disabled' by not allowing the mech to travel that far by adjusting the low limit screw.

Top Bottom