Bike shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Spesh BG shoe will be stiffer than the entry-level R064.

I can't see if the R107 has a recessed well in the sole for an SPD cleat. This will work with SPDs and the others won't work with SPDs. SPDs are good for commuting and mountain biking where you need frequent entry/exit but the pedals and shoes weigh around twice the weight of a dedicated road shoe with a flat sole and, for example, a Look Keo cleat and pedal.

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

Thanks for that! I'm not too worried weight wise (have more than enough on me to get rid of first) lol. It didn't occur to me to think about the stiffness of the shoes. I take it the stiffer the better?

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

As the bike came with spd sl pedals for the time being I'm limited to those type of shoes. I don't use the bike for commuting so hoping spd sl will be ok for me.

VamP

Banned
Out of those three, the BG hands down. But as everyone has different shaped feet, you should really try a few on and see how good the fit is.

Personally, I really like SIDI. Pricey tho.

Globalti

Legendary Member
SPDs are best for commuting. Dedicated road pedals are harder to use but lighter and more suited to long hours in the sadde. The shoes are also unsuitable for more than a few years of tottering to the coffee shop.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably you mean yards of tottering. Op says no commuting. Shimano, dhb and specialized shoes are popular at the lower end. Perhaps get shoes that can take either cleat for flexibility?

rb58

Enigma
I used to get foot pain on longer rides with my Spesh shoes. Swapped to carbon soled SIDI and they're amazingly comfortable and I now longer get any foot problems. But shoes are like saddles, there'll be a million recommendations, but it's a very personal choice,

Nick Stone

Love my spesh shoes, I got some BG ones, fit well very comfy. Only problem I've managed to bugger one of the ratchets but I've ordered another so all good. But as the other guys say try some others as well. Got some Bonty's on order for the new disco slipper with a good carbon sole so I can't wait to see if there is any major difference.

Dave Carey

I'm looking to get a pair of bike shoes which I've narrowed down to a few but as these are based on looks and not if they are any good I would be interested to hear any views on them.

Shimano R064

Shimano R107 SPD sl

Specialized BG

cheers

I recently bought the Shimano R064 and cannot fault them. Being my first pair of clipless shoes I have found them easy to clip in and out. My performance has improved as well, have been recording much better average speeds since I started using them. They fit well though I did go up half a size based on the feedback on Wiggle.

Top Bottom