Bike Size (Frame)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cris S

Regular
I am thinking of either selling or trading my bike but do not recall the frame size.

I am 6' tall and it is to big for me, with the saddle as good as at its lowest to give a straight knee at
the bottom of the pedal stroke the top of the handle bar stem is in line with the saddle and the bike
even feels to big for me.

Not into the cycling like I used to be so lots of the technical stuff as long since gone into the darkest recesses of my old brain.

So how do I measure the frame size? And what frame size should I really be looking for ?

Thanks.

Measure in cm from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, (not the seat post, just the frame part) :thumbsup:

See HERE

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Measure in cm from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, (not the seat post, just the frame part) :thumbsup:
Some manufacturers measure from the centre of the bottom bracket to the centre of the top tube (signified c-c).

If you have a bike with a sloping top tube, the measurement would often be to a 'virtual' horizontal top tube.

At your height, you probably need a 56 cm or 58 cm frame.

I'm an inch taller than you and ride a 58. I use an 11 cm handlebar stem. I could ride a 56 cm bike with a 13 cm stem or a 60 cm with a 9 cm stem and adjust the saddle height to suit, but the 58 cm looks best for me and has the most comfortable reach down to the handlebars. (I flip my stems so I don't have to bend so far - lack of flexibility!)

OP
OP
C

Cris S

Regular
OK, thanks, it measures about 59cm/23"

What should I be looking for ?

The bike in question is a Raleigh Airlite 100 and the front end looks really high.

ColinJ

Going on information so far this my frame http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/measure-frame/road-bike/compact/suitable-riders?utf8=✓&s=590.0

Now my saddle is right down with the point of the saddle inline with the top of the handlebar stem which is also at its lowest.

My inside leg is about 32/33cm.

The bike just does not feel comfortable, and as I said it looks like the front is to high and feels it also.
With 32/33 cm legs, I'm not surprised that your bike is too big! :thumbsup:

ColinJ

It is very odd that you have to have your saddle that low and you still have straight*** legs at the bottom of the pedal stroke. My inside leg measurement is also 32/33 inches and this is what my saddle position looks like on a 58 cm bike.

redcar_tarn_keighley_wide.jpg

*** They shouldn't be quite straight, but if your saddle is as low as it will go then that can't be helped.

OP
OP
C

Cris S

Regular
The bike has a compact frame style and the Centre to Top measurement is 59cm.

Top Bottom