Bike sizing advice - 5ft 8 is a medium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

As I will look to have to buy online it seems due to low stocks in store, I wanted to double check my thoughts.

I am male, 5ft 8 tall. Guess things are all in proportion! Have sat on an Allez medium and all seemed ok, and the guy in store did not raise any concerns about the sizing (Medium). In Decathlon the guy there suggested a small may be better on the Triban 500. FWIW my hybrid is a M (Giant).

I believe 54 is typically a medium, but am guessing that for something like Orbea who size differently, a 53 would be better than a 55?

As I will look to have to buy online it seems due to low stocks in store, I wanted to double check my thoughts.

I am male, 5ft 8 tall. Guess things are all in proportion! Have sat on an Allez medium and all seemed ok, and the guy in store did not raise any concerns about the sizing (Medium). In Decathlon the guy there suggested a small may be better on the Triban 500. FWIW my hybrid is a M (Giant).

I believe 54 is typically a medium, but am guessing that for something like Orbea who size differently, a 53 would be better than a 55?
Yes would have thought 54cm would be a good fit

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In the case of the Triban and Allen I’m sure a med would be absolutely fine. With the Orbea 53 would work but going up a size might also suit you. It’s all a question of preference, I like a slightly bigger frame. I’m 6’1 and have frames from 56 to 61, all I find manageable, it’s down to you. If you’re buying without trying then the safest is stick close you your existing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends what bit you’re measuring. I’m 5’9.5, long legged, all my bikes have 54cm top tube and 100mm stem

Last edited:
I thought (edit I forgot the last t) that I would let you know that I can't contribute. :-(

I went onto the Orbea site https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/calculate-size/inseam/full/carretera/orca/man/71/
and it said

The ratio between height and inseam length that you have indicated does not match any of our sizes. According to your height, the inseam length can vary from 78 to 93 cm / 30.71 to 36.61 in. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

The red was their choice, I am 5'11 with a 29 inside leg so there are some people that they don't feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I though that I would let you know that I can't contribute. :-(

I went onto the Orbea site https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/calculate-size/inseam/full/carretera/orca/man/71/
and it said

The ratio between height and inseam length that you have indicated does not match any of our sizes. According to your height, the inseam length can vary from 78 to 93 cm / 30.71 to 36.61 in. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

The red was their choice, I am 5'11 with a 29 inside leg so there are some people that they don't feel comfortable with.

Did you take your leg measurement correctly? It is not your trouser size you use, it normally involves lifting a spirit level under your perineum and measuring the distance to the floor. Each company does it slightly differently, some with shoes some without etc.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yes for a Specialized. For a Ridley you'd be a Small, although they are more of an exception. For an Orbea I'd suggest a 53 rather than a 55. Basically it depends on manufacturers.

I though that I would let you know that I can't contribute. :-(

and it said

Same here, it seems my legs are 4” to 8” too short (28” to the floor, 6’4” tall)

Top Bottom