Bike Sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I'm still thinking about buying this bike:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-tea...RHS&utm_content=Product#/modal__finance-modal

This would be in addition to my Giant Defy 2 which is this one:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.2/24964/90519/

Now I know that the BMC bike would be a step backwards in terms of groupset, etc but I do like the bike and I'm seriously considering buying it - I would put Continental Gatorskin Hardshell tyres on it and SPD pedals like I have on my Giant Defy 2. What I want to ask is: my Giant Defy 2 is a small frame size 46.5 - does that mean I would be better going for the small size (47cm) on the BMC bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask Evans (can't see a geometry plan, but could try the BMC site or google) and then use their excellent test ride service. They'll get the bikes in for a refundable deposit

I doubt the 46.5 on the Defy is the TT, I'll assume you're not 5ft. Check the important measurements with a tape measure, virtual TT

Look at the geometry chart in your defy link and you'll see the bike has a 53cm TT so I'd start from there when talking to Evans

If 5'5-5'8 or thereabouts, I'd expect the 51cm BMC to be in the ballpark. Maybe 54, depending on how it compares to your giant, have Evans get both in.

I think the 46.5 is the seat tube, the one main measurement giant don't give separately

Do not buy without a proper test ride, just need photo ID and bank card

Simples :smile:

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sometimes size charts just confuse the issue , so go along with a set of measurements from your current bike and do a comparison , then ask for a test ride to see how it feels once set to same measurements if poss if not go up or down accordingly on frame sizes

S-Express

Hi there

I'm still thinking about buying this bike:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-tea...RHS&utm_content=Product#/modal__finance-modal

This would be in addition to my Giant Defy 2 which is this one:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.2/24964/90519/

Now I know that the BMC bike would be a step backwards in terms of groupset, etc but I do like the bike and I'm seriously considering buying it - I would put Continental Gatorskin Hardshell tyres on it and SPD pedals like I have on my Giant Defy 2. What I want to ask is: my Giant Defy 2 is a small frame size 46.5 - does that mean I would be better going for the small size (47cm) on the BMC bike?

Genuinely cannot understand why you are buying another bike with an identical purpose and style to one you already have.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Best measurements to take along for a quick set up are centre of crank to top of saddle, and top of saddle to centre of junction of bars and stem, and height of bars above ground ( can adjust by moving spacers above or below stem to some degree although I suspect the BMC will have a more aggressive (low bars) position than the Defy as the Defy has quite a tall head tube.

vickster

Legendary Member
Genuinely cannot understand why you are buying another bike with an identical purpose and style to one you already have.
I think because it appeals aesthetically (and he has cash to spend?)

He posted about it previously.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Oohhh, that BMC is nice - I have not seen this model before. Yum

I know - hence the reason why I'm interested in it, even though its more or less the same bike I already have (actually, its a step down groupset wise!).

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I know - hence the reason why I'm interested in it, even though its more or less the same bike I already have (actually, its a step down groupset wise!).
If it helps atall, I ride a BMC Teammachine SLR03 size 54.
I am 5'11" with a 32"inside leg. But people are all different shapes and sizes.

vickster

Legendary Member
47 will IMO be too small but could try. Also the 54, but you'd likely be paying 3 X £60 deposits

Top Bottom