Bike Spec' questions----help needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
More or less decided on a Ribble Sportive and need to chose some components.............
WHEELS
Standard wheels are Rodi Airline 4.
For an extra £115 I can have Fulcrum Racing 5
For an extra £215 I can have Mavic Ksyrium
Both sets of wheels will reduce the weight by some 350 Grms which I wont notice but I understand the better wheels give a much better ride.

BARS & SEAT-POST.
Basically a choice between standard aluminium or carbon.
Carbon post will cost and extra £10.00
Carbon bars will cost anything from £20.00-£100.00
With bike having a carbon frame will carbon bars or seat-post make any difference to the ride ?

All the rest (gears etc) I have decided on but have absolutely no knowledge of the above
Thanks

IME spec it to the best level you can comfortably afford too, it saves on upgrades in the long run. I avoid all things carbon personally so I'd go alu on the seatpost, and defo on the bars. Some say a cf seatpost is more comfortable, my C'dale had one when I got it, and I can honestly say mine felt no better, (or worse to be fair), than any alu one I've used before, and I swopped it for an alu one after one ride.
I'd save £'s on the bars and seatpost etc and put the savings into the wheels.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The wheels is the number one upgrade people make/recommend.

Don't underestimate the difference weight off the wheels makes: worth two/three times the same weight saved elsewhere.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Wot they've said^^

Stick with the alloy bars and stem - the weight savings on those are marginal at best - and get the best wheels and tyres you can afford. Do consider hand-build wheels too - Mavic Open Pro on decent hubs make for a light and very tough wheel. I've used mine for touring and off-roading, and they're still true after six years.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks.
Which of the wheels mentioned are best (and why) ?
For £10 will the carbon seat post give more comfort (which I want at my age)......not ignoring you Smokeysmoo-just after other thoughts.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Thanks.
Which of the wheels mentioned are best (and why) ?
For £10 will the carbon seat post give more comfort (which I want at my age)......not ignoring you Smokeysmoo-just after other thoughts.

Please see this and the associated link. :becool:

This might also help you make up your mind. :smile:

You didn't say which Ksyrium.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It appears to me that given the online prices here for the Racing 5 or Equipe Ribble is not crediting you very much for not keeping the stock wheels. Ok they are heavy but it appears they usually sell for around £100. Depending on your needs you might be better off keeping/selling them AND buying a new, better set of wheels.

I have various Mavic and Campag wheels but neither the Equipe nor Racing 5, so can't comment from personal experience, but I believe they are both well received. I believe the Equipe is the heaviest Ksyrium and quite different to the others, and only 70g/pair lighter than the current Racing 5 on paper. Whether that is worth an extra £100 from Ribble obviously only you can decide. Personally, I would probably get an even lighter/blinker set, if not the Racing 5 and spend some of the savings on better tyres and lighter tubes.

They are basically selling the stock wheels for £30 - bargain!

Use them in the summer and then retire them off for winter use whilst you upgrade to a nice pair of wheels on special offer.

The Equipes are nice wheels but they fall in the lower middle so that you can find yourself wanting to upgrade just to find out if you are missing anything.

You won't be missing much if you spin a small gear rather than grind it out on a big gear.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Specifically: what's wrong with the Rodi's?

Say over 10 miles how much longer will it take to cover this distance with these vs Fulcrum 1/3/5/7 whatever?
Surely we're in the margins here?

It would be good if someone could quantify that.......I keep reading how important it is to have "good" wheels and how people quickly upgrade the wheels-but as someone who will likely be riding 2/3 times a week-maybe 30-60 miles max' just what have I got to pay to notice a real difference??????

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I just changed out the stock wheels on my bike to shimano r500's - compared to my old stock wheels is a night and day difference. old wheels weighed almost 3.7kgs with tyres and tubes - new wheels weigh 2.8kgs with tyres and tubes also fitted a lighter sram cassette too.

i can certainly feel the difference between the two sets.

Top Bottom