Bike stands on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
Has anyone experience with frame mounted cycle stands? What we used to call kick stands. My Airnimal Joey is a wonderful bike but the wide, flat handlebars make it a bit unstable when I am off the bike and want to lean it up on something. Thanks

Gwylan

Veteran
Have a Decathlon one on my ebike. Seems to work well.

BTWIN

DOUBLE CENTRAL BIKE STAND

References : 2095220

SIZE : UNIQUE SIZE
UNIT PRICE : £17.99

presta

Guru
I've never even considered one because I regard them as far too narrow based, and topple-prone.
wide, flat handlebars make it a bit unstable when I am off the bike and want to lean it up on something
Even leaned against a flat wall or fence, with four points of contact: bars, seat, wheels? Since this puts the rear wheel closer to the wall than the front, you can turn this to your advantage: with the bike on a very slight uphill (less than the friction angle) it will tend to want to roll towards the wall rather than away from it. The lock & chain can also be used to help stop the bike rolling if positioned with a bit of thought. Being picky about your choice of parking place also helps.

Failing that, try making a steering lock (a webbing or Velcro strap around the front wheel & downtube would do if you're not into metalwork). I started out with a steering lock, but soon stopped using it after I'd learnt how to park the bike without it wanting to fall over.

The only time I've ever had my bike fall was in the middle of mending a puncture, whilst it was perched upside down in a strong wind, and even then, the handlebars were providing a wider base than a kick stand does.

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
I've never even considered one because I regard them as far too narrow based, and topple-prone.

Even leaned against a flat wall or fence, with four points of contact: bars, seat, wheels? Since this puts the rear wheel closer to the wall than the front, you can turn this to your advantage: with the bike on a very slight uphill (less than the friction angle) it will tend to want to roll towards the wall rather than away from it. The lock & chain can also be used to help stop the bike rolling if positioned with a bit of thought. Being picky about your choice of parking place also helps.

Failing that, try making a steering lock (a webbing or Velcro strap around the front wheel & downtube would do if you're not into metalwork). I started out with a steering lock, but soon stopped using it after I'd learnt how to park the bike without it wanting to fall over.

The only time I've ever had my bike fall was in the middle of mending a puncture, whilst it was perched upside down in a strong wind, and even then, the handlebars were providing a wider base than a kick stand does.

I'll have a go at it. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Fredo76

Über Member
I have a "BV" kickstand on the Clem. It's black, adjustable, and doesn't rattle.

Fredo76

Über Member
Thanks, I'll have a look. Meanwhile, what's the Clem?
My brother's Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.
IMG_3535.JPG
It's an unusual bicycle, but I really like riding it. :smile:

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member

All good points but I will be training as a cycling instructor shortly and have been told that kick stands for instructors are very popular. Apparently when instructing instructors are constantly mounting and dismounting their bikes and being on the road, there are no convenient walls to lean their bikes against. Cheers

Top Bottom