Bike storage funding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

dellzeqq said:
Thomas - roughtly how many bike spaces per 100 students are there?
Just took a look, 14000 students with 2240 bike spaces. Very impresive. The website states they have 19% cycling regulars too.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mike.pembo said:
Just took a look, 14000 students with 2240 bike spaces. Very impresive. The website states they have 19% cycling regulars too.

Probably includes sheds in residences and stuff for staff? You have to be careful on this. It'll still be a very healthy figure once you strip that out though.

Also I'm a bit puzzled why a RTR would get involved in cycle parking.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
marinyork said:
Probably includes sheds in residences and stuff for staff? You have to be careful on this. It'll still be a very healthy figure once you strip that out though.

Also I'm a bit puzzled why a RTR would get involved in cycle parking.
because it's central to cycling in towns. It's the very stuff of RtR campaigning. And once Grace gets the cuffs on Mike, and makes him sign the RtR pledge in blood and WD40, there'll be no escape for him......

The LCC (and Susie Morrow of Wandsworth CC in particular) has had a fantastic amount of success in making cycle parking mandatory on new developments in London.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

dellzeqq said:
because it's central to cycling in towns. It's the very stuff of RtR campaigning. And once Grace gets the cuffs on Mike, and makes him sign the RtR pledge in blood and WD40, there'll be no escape for him......

The LCC (and Susie Morrow of Wandsworth CC in particular) has had a fantastic amount of success in making cycle parking mandatory on new developments in London.

Cheers :sad: The document / email to the university is coming along well and Im hoping to finish it today or tomorrow to get the ball rolling. Ideally Id love the university to make a start on some stuff before the new academic year but Ive probably left it too late to complain. :sad:

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Still in progress but this is what Ive got so far...(yes, I havent attached all the pictures but hopefully you'll get my drift)

1, 2 & 3) Share between them 8 Sheffield stands. Stands are unused because of distance from the buildings and intentional obscurity from barriers (See picture 1 & 2). Instead railings are used on the tunnel of the main reception entrance (See picture 2). Total building capacity is unknown but however Middlesbrough Tower (2) is ten floors. Sport and well being building (3) should probably have additional capacity for students attending the Gym.

4 & 6) Waterhouse (4) and Clarendon (6) building entrances overlook the same area with zero places to park a bike. See picture 4.

5) King Edwards Square accommodation has zero bike parking areas, other than the 8 Sheffield stands that are shared by buildings 1, 2 and 3.

7) Student centre has zero cycle parking. Cycle parking could be located in the shared area with buildings 4 and 6, or at the Southfield road entrance to building 6. See picture 4.

9) Orion building has zero cycle parking facilities.

10) Minerva building has zero cycle parking facilities.

11) Stephenson building has zero cycle parking facilities.

13) Education house has zero

14) University House building front & rear has zero

15) Aurora building has zero

16) Centre House has zero

20 & 21) Library (20) with 1300 study places and 400 PC’s has zero Sheffield stands, and shares a very poorly constructed and unsecure 10 bike wheel bender stand with the Students Union (21). See picture 5 & 6. This is an area which would benefit most from prominent and suitable cycle parking facilities.

22) Grieg building, which houses two lecture theatres seating 84, has 6 hidden wheel bender stands which offer no security either physically or visually as the bikes are hidden under a walkway. See picture 7 & 8.

23 & 24) Europa building is the residence of two large lecture theatres that are used by students across the campus. There are zero cycle parking facilities. See picture 8

28) Victoria building has zero

42) Mercuria building, which is a fitness centre, has zero

44) Parkside West has zero, possibly secure bike shed? See picture 9.

49) Little House has zero

56 & 59) Olympia (59) and Centuria (56) buildings share 6 Sheffield stands, which are in a prominent position and slightly shielded from weather by building 59 (see picture 10). In addition they share what looks to be a motorcycle parking stand (picture 11), which is the only one on the campus. Recently new covered stands have been added which my be out of sight from passers by, over 50m from buildings 56 and 59, and too remote to be desirable by cyclists (picture 12 & 13). The recent stands are however ideal to serve the new Centuria South building and should serve as a template for each building.

57) Centre for Enterprise has zero. See picture 8.

63) Phoenix building has zero.

64) Athena has zero.

67) Cook building has zero.

69) Foster building has zero.

A) King Edward’s Square (131 students) shares 8 Sheffield stands with buildings 1, 2 and 3.

:angry: Woodlands Halls – zero parking for 249 students.

C & D) Parkside Halls – zero parking for 133 students.

E) Parkside houses and flats – zero parking for 213 students.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
love the graphic.......why not keep the uni's key for car parkings spaces? That tells a story all of its own

marinyork

You've done a good job of that. Care to put some of that on opencyclemap/openstreetmap when you're done?

By all means emphasise the library as you do need some but in my experience fewer people tend to cycle to libraries than you would expect :biggrin: whereas the real biggies are large lecture theatres near many (other smaller ones).

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

dellzeqq said:
love the graphic.......why not keep the uni's key for car parkings spaces? That tells a story all of its own
Good idea! This was the campus map but Ill add some dots to show where parking exists.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

marinyork said:
You've done a good job of that. Care to put some of that on opencyclemap/openstreetmap when you're done?

By all means emphasise the library as you do need some but in my experience fewer people tend to cycle to libraries than you would expect B) whereas the real biggies are large lecture theatres near many (other smaller ones).
Cheers. If I can sus out how to use it Ill put it on :biggrin:

The library from what Ive seen seems to be where most students were parking, including myself - however this was in the run up to exams where most students would be on study break, so this would probably be the only place they were going at the time (and a Sunday).

marinyork

mike.pembo said:
Cheers. If I can sus out how to use it Ill put it on :biggrin:

www.openstreetmap.org and select edit. In the browser it uses and editor called potlatch and it's pretty simple to use. You drag and drop points of interest (there are many more than on there). Can probably dig out a guide somewhere. The opencyclemap is a layer off another server and updates much less often but you see the eventual results on bikehike etc.

mike.pembo said:
The library from what Ive seen seems to be where most students were parking, including myself - however this was in the run up to exams where most students would be on study break, so this would probably be the only place they were going at the time (and a Sunday).

Hehe that makes sense. You do need some outside the library for sure but it does seem to be lecture theatres that are the heavy users.

Top Bottom