Bike Suggestions for Keen 8 Yr Old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chamunt

Looking for some advice for a bike for an 8 year old who loves long rides mainly on road and the occasional paths. For the last 2 years he has used an Orbea Dirt with 20" wheels, but he is getting to big for it now. He is keen to eventually do road racing, but it seems pointless to get a proper road bike just yet. What would be a decent (not super expensive) 24" bike for lots of miles mainly on road, but not exclusively. The other thing is that he is short for his age, so ideally something with a shorter reach.

Any advice/experience would be really appreciated. Thanks

13 rider

Guru
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/guide-to-giant-kids-bikes
A link to giants bikes kid page just for ideas other brands are available

Looking for some advice for a bike for an 8 year old who loves long rides mainly on road and the occasional paths. For the last 2 years he has used an Orbea Dirt with 20" wheels, but he is getting to big for it now. He is keen to eventually do road racing, but it seems pointless to get a proper road bike just yet. What would be a decent (not super expensive) 24" bike for lots of miles mainly on road, but not exclusively. The other thing is that he is short for his age, so ideally something with a shorter reach.

Any advice/experience would be really appreciated. Thanks
Hi Chamunt, i got my lad an XS one of these Marin San Raphaels when he was 10, used mainly for road but we have done some gnarley routes as well. Would recommend 😀
new_19-San-Rafael-DS3-2000x1298.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My ten year old has this old Claud Butler MTB which I’ve removed the shifters but left the derailleur on for chain tension, he was always spoiling the gears. At that age they are growing fast so no point in spending too much.

Attachments

• 6EF821CE-F3C4-47E7-9844-6F13C3A5576B.jpeg
    6EF821CE-F3C4-47E7-9844-6F13C3A5576B.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
C

chamunt

Brilliant, thanks all for the advice - gives me a lot to go on.

Hi Chamunt, i got my lad an XS one of these Marin San Raphaels when he was 10, used mainly for road but we have done some gnarley routes as well. Would recommend 😀
I like the look of that!

Last edited:
Sorry just re read he is short for age, so likely too big for him? Shame its a cracking bike for that cash 😄

Top Bottom