Bike/trike restoration project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
I've got the chance of restoring an old Pashley trike, which my wife fancies having once it's up to scratch. There's rust on the frame; tyres, cables, brakes and one mudguard need replacing; and probably lots of internals once I get my hands on it. It's seen better days, but we're talking about a classic steed here.

I like the idea of doing the restore as I'll learn about bike mechanics as I go, which I'm keen to do, but just wonder if I may be taking on more than I think? So I'd like some opinions from some folk who've walked the walk,as it were.

Is it doable? (Particularly dealing with the rust on the frame)

Is it practical, i.e. will I end up throwing more money than it's worth at the project?

Are replacement parts easily available? As stated I'm expecting to find plenty wear and tear when I have a good look at what's going on.

Thanks for any advice.

Archie

Eeek!

What gears does it have? If the components are fairly standard it'll be easy, if you have to start sourcing hub gears and so forth (and building them into wheels) it may be a little trickier.
How original do you want it to be? If you're willing to put non original components on it, it'll be easier.
Tyres, cables and brakes should be easy enough, and the rust on the frame can be dealt with by a professional refinisher if you're willing to put the money in (a professional respray of a standard bike frame comes in at about £150). Or you can have the frame sandblasted and paint it yourself with a brush.
Ultimately it depends what it's worth to you. I spent over £400 (far more than it's worth) having my ancient Dawes Galaxy sprayed and refitted a few years back, but I don't mind as it's still my favourite bike.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
mickle said:
Oh dear, that doesn't sound too encouraging! ;)

mickle said:
Pictures? We've one or two of them there Pashley trikes in our fleet along with a rare Pashley tricycle tandem. I may be able to help.

No pictures as yet, once I've got some I'll put them up if you like.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Rhythm Thief said:
What gears does it have?
Sturmey-Archer 3 speed. Even if I had to replace it I'm fairly confident I can find another.

Rhythm Thief said:
the rust on the frame can be dealt with by a professional refinisher if you're willing to put the money in (a professional respray of a standard bike frame comes in at about £150). Or you can have the frame sandblasted and paint it yourself with a brush.
The frame rust is my main worry. Will sandblasting take care of it? And how much would that cost? I don't mind repainting it myself if we're confident the frame will be OK.

stevew

I would imagine the frames on those were pretty tough steel tubing, nothing sophisticated like butted tubing. Should therefore be fine to use wire brush, emery cloth and wire wool to get rid of the rust and then paint it with smooth Hammerite. Won't look too bad and it will be serviceable. As for the other bits I'm sure they're mostly normal bike bits so sourcing them shouldn't be too hard and if you do your sourcing prudently it shouldn't cost a lot. Most bits will be the sort of components that you can find on old unwanted 3 speed bikes.
BTW I had my diamond frame blasted and sprayed by VAS for 45 quid last year but Hammerite is cheaper ! !

Dave5N

Über Member
Get it dipped, blasted and powdercoated for about £20. Better than hammerite and a damn sight easier!

Dave5N

Über Member
stevew said:
For 20 quid I would agree, but where ??

Well I (and many others here) use Bournes in Digbeth. But I bet there's a place near you. Try the Yellow Pages.

I did a frame and forks last summer which had been oversprayed and had grease, transfers, you name it. Came up lovely. SHould have been £15 but I paid another fiver for a pearlescent finish.

stevew

Is this the place you mean ?

Bournes Powder Coaters
32 Bissell Street
Birmingham West Midlands B5 7HP
Tel: 0121 666 6595

Top Bottom