Bike tyre prices !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
im pitching the Michelin Citys as commuter tyres. no you wouldn't put them on your best road bike :wacko:

i got mine from chain reaction for £10, but that was some time ago. now selling at £11.99

they are selling 700x38 for £8.98

i have a 700x40 set and a 700x28 set. had the 700x40 set a long time and still no noticeable wear.

for the money... excellent (commuter) tyre :becool:

It's interesting when you compare the cost of a moderately small car tyre to that of an expensive racing bike tyre, the bike tyre is more expensive despite using about 30 times [that's a guess] less rubber. I know there is a lot of technical bits incorporated into a bike tyre but that applies to a car tyre also, perhaps even more so. The only difference in costs might be in production volume, but would that really make that much difference? Sorry but this has been a bit of a hobby horse for me as I have always thought bike tyres were too expensive.

P.H

Über Member
It's interesting when you compare the cost of a moderately small car tyre to that of an expensive racing bike tyre, the bike tyre is more expensive despite using about 30 times [that's a guess] less rubber. I know there is a lot of technical bits incorporated into a bike tyre but that applies to a car tyre also, perhaps even more so. The only difference in costs might be in production volume, but would that really make that much difference? Sorry but this has been a bit of a hobby horse for me as I have always thought bike tyres were too expensive.
That's a poor comparison! You can pay over £200 for a car tyre and under £8 for a bike one.

the snail

Guru
compare the cost of a moderately small car tyre to that of an expensive racing bike tyre,

hardly a good comparison, better to compare a low-profile sports car tyre. Volume production makes a huge difference, and flashy race-bike tyres sell in tiny quantities. Also labour costs are quite high compared to the cost of rubber. I should think a discount car tyre shop can operate on a much lower profit margin than a lbs. Sports motorcycle tyres are probably a better comparison, and they are certainly not cheap :ohmy:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have these on my road bike they wear well have kevlar protection, are light, feel quick enough and are cheap. Decathlon seems to be the only place that does them at this price. Lots of other people also seem to have cheap options as well. Mind you if you want to shave those few extra grams off you will have to pay that bit extra.

Top Bottom