bike tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to get my tyres changed for the winter. I currently have 700x23 on my boardman comp and I would like to change over to 700x32 , would they fit ok on my original rims?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
how wide are the rims ?

Sterba

Über Member
23 to 32 is a big jump. Why not consider 28 in a touring tyre, eg Conti Contact Sport? Anything bigger is going to look a bit odd on a "competition" bike. The Contacts have lots of tread, are nice and "fat" and will more likely fit on rims designed for 23 tyres. At a pinch, you could even keep the same inner tubes (is that a pun?) if you were looking to get best value from the switch. I use Contact 28s on my winter bike, they are good in the wet, have lots of grip, and wear very well. And a nice reflective stripe on the sidewall. The 32s will probably foul the frame somewhere and may make the wheels rather difficult to take off, past the brakes, even if they (the brakes) have quick releases. Don't fit any new tyres until you know that they are going to clear the front fork bridge, cos there's no way of winning extra space there, filing the underside of the bridge is not a good idea! And your existing brakes have to fit round the tyres, too. Don't go back to Halfords, they won't have the faintest idea. Boardman has started a scheme to try and give the assistants some basic knowledge of bikes, but they have a long way to go. Ask an ordinary local bike shop instead.

Top Bottom