Bike Upgrade: Expected Improvement in Performance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I have an old tank of a bike, a 1978 Carlton with panniers which weighs in at over 15kg. Today I averaged 15.3mph over 39 miles and I really don't think I could do much better on this bike. Just wondering what sort of improvement I'm likely to see when my new Bianchi Impulso Veloce arrives later this month. What sorts of improvements did other people see when they made similar bike upgrades?

oldroadman

Veteran
Like changing from running in boots on sand, to trainers on road. New bike under 10kg will make a big difference every time the road goes up, decent wheels and transmission will help on the flat. But in the end the engine is you, and the way to imporve long term is lose weight and train/ride a bitharder, and suffer a bit more!

gbb

Legendary Member
Its a hard thing to quantify, if i think back through my bikes, my speed overall hasnt changed much, so i wouldnt expect a massive change.
Even then, its difficult to remember how hard a ride was on an older bike compared to more modern ones.
Heavy Raleigh cro mo framed 8 speed racer..i always averaged around 15.5 mph, whatever the distance at the age of 40 ish.
Moved up to an alloy 9 speed bianchi, no great difference in average speed, but the bike was more pleasurable to ride, a bit easier on me.
Next up to a 10 speed bianchi...but now i'm 50, but still averaging the same 15.5 mph with relative ease, whatever the distance.

Now on a full carbon job, at nearly 54, i find myself despite having a lean last 6 months on the bike, still averaging 15,5 with ease, upping to 16.5 if i push along a bit. Thats surprised me, for instance i rattled along at 17mph today on the headwind sections of my 3 mile circuit. Granted because its a short circuit, i 'm quickly moving from side, to tail, so side, to headwind all the time so you do get a rest, but my headwind riding has been very good lately. Is it my new carbon jobby ?...or am i just in a good place physically at the moment ?

A lot of musing, not much to go on, Is a lot of it mental, new bike, new vigour ?
So ive moved from a heavy 8 speed, cheap wheeled raleigh to a full carbon framed, Fulcrum 5 wheeled bike in almost 15 years, i'm still the same where my averages are concerned, but a heck of a lot more comfortable doing it..and with a bigger grin.

I have an old tank of a bike, a 1978 Carlton with panniers which weighs in at over 15kg. Today I averaged 15.3mph over 39 miles and I really don't think I could do much better on this bike. Just wondering what sort of improvement I'm likely to see when my new Bianchi Impulso Veloce arrives later this month. What sorts of improvements did other people see when they made similar bike upgrades?

in terms of feel, ride quality and general smoothness, you will almost certainly notice a difference. In terms of your average speed - assuming your previous bike was serviceable - I doubt if you will see much, if any improvement. The placebo effect is difficult to predict though....

D

Deleted member 1258

two years ago I went from a Dawes Giro with an 8 speed transmission to a Verenti Kilmeston with a 10 speed transmission, the max speed and average speed remained the same but it felt easier to do.

mattobrien

Guru
I found that new tyres made a good improvement to my average speed, or at least I think it did.

I went from the standard tyres on my Allez to some Conti GP 4000s, it was like night and day.

Wheels will also help too.

All in all though, don't forget to pedal harder on the new bike, that'll make a big difference too :-)

Bianchi-67

The Bianchi Impulso is a very nice bike. My wife has just ordered the Impulso Veloce. Is yours Veloce or Shimano. I have the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 which I bought last December. I have since upgraded both the front/rear mech and shifters from Tiagra 10 speed to Ultrgra. The stock wheels have been replaced with Fulcrum Racing 5 and Michelin Pro 3 tyres ( should have got the Pro 4s). The bar tape was changed to Lizard Skins. The difference in speed and handling are immediately apparent. Enjoy the bike when it arrives. Here's mine
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338706635.386415.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338706654.176843.jpg

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Nice VN7 there, mine is the Impluso Veloce. Even if my average speed does not change, I will be very happy to achieve some or all of the following: more pleasurable to ride, a bit easier on the rider, still averaging the same [speed] with relative ease (whatever the distance), a heck of a lot more comfortable, a bigger grin, feeling the difference in ride quality/general smoothness and feeling easier to do. The only reason I asked about the average speed was that I was contemplating joining up with other riders in my area but I thought maybe 15.3mph was a bit on the slow side.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's already a respectable average. Go ride.

Circa £1200.

With regard to the difference, weight alone will make a difference, try a ride out now with six bags of sugar in. Backpack and see he difference.
Also got to look at the performance of the components, and the balance of the new bike.

Regardless, you stil have a very decent average

Top Bottom