Bike upgrade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Little bit of help needed,
I already have a spesh allez sport 2014 with full sora.
really like the bike and do around about 100-150 most weeks and when the weather is good decent rides at the weekend.
Im hoping to do good few sportives and I could do with something for comfort, that I can put a few miles on and relitivly hill friendly as I cant go half a mile here without finding a bloody steep one
While the bike has been great, ive not upgraded any part on it.
Im looking for a new bike rather than upgrade the spesh.
My company has a ctw at evans so am looking to do that.
Ive spoken to evans today and they will let you add money to it so my budget will be around £200 making it £1200 in total.
id like to get carbon if possible and a decent upgrade to 105ish
im obviously going to go and look and test the bikes in the flesh however ive looked on the website and these have taken my eye.
(not carbon I know) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hoy/sa-calobra-004-11-speed-2014-road-bike-ec059960

.http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/gran-fondo-25-2014-road-bike-ec053293

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/xenith-comp-2014-road-bike-ec054709

Any thoughts?
is there a big difference in the carbon from ali and the step up to 105/ultegra from sora?
I have thought about selling the spesh if needed to put a few hundred pounds extra into the kitty.

Onyer

The Hoy is ally, so not any better than your Spesh. For less money you could upgrade your wheels and groupset and may end up with a better bike. The others have the older version of 105, so maybe not a great jump up from your existing groupset. At your price level I would have a look at Boardman bikes as they consistently get good reviews and are decently equipped. Good luck with the research. half the fun of getting a new bike is making the choice.

Wafer

Veteran
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/supersix-evo-105-6-2014-road-bike-ec054394 looks like they have some of last years stock at a nice discount. Meant to be more like the Allez geometry though rather than softer 'sportive' type, looks like the carbon Synapse would be a bit over your budget unless you got some money for the Allez.
Can't say much about the difference in carbon to alloy and different group sets as I've only ridden one road bike! general stuff I see round here is carbon isn't necessarily lighter than alloy, depends on frame. Think your Sora setup will be 2x9 gears? Last years tiagra and 105 are 2x10 and this years 105 is 2x11 I think (when talking about compacts) which might not change your top/bottom gearing much but give you more options in between.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
That Hoy does seem to have the best spec, Never seen one or heard anything about them, but would imagine they are up to the mark, All the others need a wheel upgrade before you start,:thumbsup:
Although i do like Canondale, It's a shame more manufacturers don't quote the weights of there bikes, there are some heavy carbon ones out there, but i don't know for sure if it's the frame or components that make them heavy, But a nice set of wheels on your spesh would make a big difference, But then it is nice to have a new bike, Hope you enjoy what ever you get^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
The Hoy is ally, so not any better than your Spesh. For less money you could upgrade your wheels and groupset and may end up with a better bike. The others have the older version of 105, so maybe not a great jump up from your existing groupset. At your price level I would have a look at Boardman bikes as they consistently get good reviews and are decently equipped. Good luck with the research. half the fun of getting a new bike is making the choice.
OP says he has to use Evans though as using C2W...although he might be able to use for components to upgrade the Specialized

cashy293

I was in exactly the same situation. I have the Allez sport 2013 and actually really like it but wanted to upgrade and keep the Allez as a winter/turbo bike.

I have just ordered a Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 (2014) for £1300 down from £1999

Not sure about the cycle to work scheme as my company don't do it but from what I have heard from a guy who has used it is that any bike you buy with it has to be full RRP and you cant go over the £1k mark (I guess this varies company to company???).

In your case, going from a Allez sport to something in the £1k ball park you are looking at maybe a Defy 1 which I personally dont see as that much of an upgrade.

Happy to be corrected, but that's my take on it anyway ^_^

SteCenturion

I am your Father
If you like the Allez then maybe a Specialized Roubaix is the one for you.

As the Tarmac & Allez are more 'Race' than 'Sportive' geometry I think the Roubaix or Trek Domane, Fuji Gran Fondo might be more up your street for the type of riding/events & terrain you mention.

Also consider the Giant Defy or BMC GF series or something similar.

The Fuji Gran Fondo got a good review in a recent edition of Cyclist mag, don't know exactly which model though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bear in mind it can be hard to get mudguards and pannier racks for carbon bikes which you might want for a C2W bike

Top Bottom