Bike was recently stolen and need advice on a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanLu

Hi all

I recently had my bike a boardman HYB 8.6 Hybrid stolen and looking to get a new bike. When I bought boardman it was a bit cheeper than they are now so its a little out of my proce range and I think i've narrowed it down to the two bikes below

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hybrid-bike-riverside-900/_/R-p-300794

or

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-mens-hybrid-bike---m-l-frames-452894.html

I know the Marasa is a 9 gears but has two speeds however is Riverside has 10 speed only whats better?

I use it cycling to work and around a city

Any advice will be great

Thank you

Sharky

Guru
Avoid front suspension at these price points. Will only add weight and for mostly road riding, you don't need it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’d also say you don’t need the suspension fork, so that leaves the Marasa. @Spiderweb ’s suggestion of the Pinnacle is good. It has spec close to the Halfords bike but with narrower faster 30c slick tyres as opposed to slightly comfier 38c, which is odd as the geometry on the other looks rather more aggressive.
The choice is yours.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably it wasn’t insured at all, or you’d be asking for new for old.
I’d add insurance to the shopping list alongside a better lock (check what locks the insurance requires).

Have you considered a lightly used second hand bike?

Hi all

I recently had my bike a boardman HYB 8.6 Hybrid stolen and looking to get a new bike. When I bought boardman it was a bit cheeper than they are now so its a little out of my proce range and I think i've narrowed it down to the two bikes below

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hybrid-bike-riverside-900/_/R-p-300794

or

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/voodoo-marasa-mens-hybrid-bike---m-l-frames-452894.html

I know the Marasa is a 9 gears but has two speeds however is Riverside has 10 speed only whats better?

I use it cycling to work and around a city

Any advice will be great

Thank you

What kind of cycling do you do?
With a new bike there's always the danger of it going the same way as the first one.

I'd second @vickster 's advice to consider second hand.

And locks!

OP
OP
I

IanLu

Hi All

thank you for the responses

So in terms of it getting stolen, it was near my Jiu Jitsu gym in daylight. I had two locks, d lock and a chain, which they cut through. I do have insureance however I am struggling to get the money from them currently and with paying the excess I wont have near the £575 that the boardman now sells for. When I first bought it it was £500. I have been lent some money to get a new bike around this price point.

The kind of cycling I do is mainly through London, road cycling

Will have a look at the options sent :smile:

At 5'10 what size bike should I be looking at ?

thank you

Ian

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi All

thank you for the responses

So in terms of it getting stolen, it was near my Jiu Jitsu gym in daylight. I had two locks, d lock and a chain, which they cut through. I do have insureance however I am struggling to get the money from them currently and with paying the excess I wont have near the £575 that the boardman now sells for. When I first bought it it was £500. I have been lent some money to get a new bike around this price point.

The kind of cycling I do is mainly through London, road cycling

Will have a look at the options sent :smile:

At 5'10 what size bike should I be looking at ?

thank you

Ian

Medium or large probably. Best is to sit on them!

Parts of London are horrific for bike theft and it’s good to know your gym makes some effort to protect its members bikes :rolleyes:

I wouldn’t spend more than a couple of hundred on a used bike that’s going to be left anywhere in London for any length of time!
Get better locks that can’t just be cut through

If the bike is being left outside just get an old bike so there's more expensive ones to be stolen. I'd be going fixed wheel or single speed for simplicity.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I your situation OP I would be getting a secondhand one off Ebay, Facebook or Gumtree but check that its not stolen. No way would would I be spending a lot of money to have a bike stolen again.Any lock can be cut through with an angle grinder.

froze

Über Member
The angle grinder is indeed a problem, however HipLok how has a solution, take a look at their D1000 lock, this lock is supposed to be angle grinder proof!

Top Bottom