Bike week 19th- 27th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't talk to me about Bike Week:sad:

We were fully booked for most of June by early March and I run around like a headless chicken for weeks on end making sure all our bikes/staff/vans are in the right place at the right time.

Still, it's better than having a proper job and no one else gets paid to ride a Penny Farthing for a living:biggrin:

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

Hilldodger said:
Don't talk to me about Bike Week:sad:

We were fully booked for most of June by early March and I run around like a headless chicken for weeks on end making sure all our bikes/staff/vans are in the right place at the right time.

Still, it's better than having a proper job and no one else gets paid to ride a Penny Farthing for a living:biggrin:

Thats sounds like a cool job riding about on penny farthing

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We are doing our 'Bike to Work' on 16th - All Unis and Hospitals on Oxford Road in Manchester. Get free breakfast and goodies. Should see at least two of the CC Massive !!

Manchester Council has the Bike to Work for everyone next Tuesday in Albert Square - If I'm in the area, might bob in early.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Can't do Bike to Work that week, as I'm not going in to work...

Did it a few years ago - rode into work for one day, but there again, I was living 32 miles from the office. Got a free water bottle out of it, and a local hospice gained from our sponsorship (necessary to avoid bottling it on the day - not just wanting to raise money for charity).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
HeyWayne said:
Never heard of it before.

Not surprising. They'll probably be stuff in council buildings and libraries. Bike weeks are usually very poorly advertised except at council buildings or if someone is sensible enough to put up a few posters where the events are.

HeyWayne

Quite by chance I've started to cycle to work this week (L2B having a large part to play in that decision).

What they need is a good marketing bod! :biggrin:

I see they have a Twitter page.

mark barker

It does seem to be an event that is overlooked, which is a shame.

Having said that, Swindon council have a breakfast thing going on to coincide with the launch of their secure bike parking facility, which will be very secure as no one at the council seems to know anything about it!

Maizie

Veteran
My work site usually does free breakfast on the Wednesday, though I haven't heard anything about it yet.

However I am delighted to realise that I am picking up my new bike on the 19th, so I will definitely be doing some (wobbly, inexpert) riding for bike week.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is a bike breakfast in the centre of Bristol next Wednesday which I will probably go for ... though towards the end of it:
Bristol City Council are holding a bike breakfast on Wednesday 23rd June.

Simply cycle to work via College Green on 23rd June (7.30-9.30am) and your free breakfast will be waiting for you. The Cycling City roadshow team will be on hand to chat to about all types of cycling, plus Dr Bike will be on hand to carry out minor alterations and repairs to your bike.

The breakfast tent will be on College Green in front of the Council House.

Anyone else likely to be going?

Bristol are holding their main bike week in September this year.

Norm

HeyWayne said:
Never heard of it before.
Check out http://www.bikeweek.org.uk/

My nearest event is "Making the public that use the Children's Centre more aware of using bikes and the impact it has on themselves and their families". Which is nice for the half dozen or so people who use the Larchfield Children's Centre. :rolleyes: :sad:

Fortunately, some other councils (Wokingham and Bracknell for instance) seem a little more switched on.

http://www.york.gov.uk/news/latestNews/PR1475

They did loads last year too, and the weekend of stuff happening in Rowntrees Park was very well attended. Bit rubbish, as I discovered, if you went with a toddler as the 'toddler tryout area' was tiny and full of 7 year olds hogging the balance bikes, and there wasn't really anything else there for pre-schoolers. We'll doubtless have a wander down to see what's happening.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
A few of us are organising our 4th year of BikeWeek events at work :smile:...
Free breakfast for everybody who cycles to work :smile: (I bought 2 kg of finest Scottish bacon, lots of free range eggs and a few dozen croissants today).
We are also doing Dr Bike, a picnic lunch for cyclists at a nearby reservoir, an obstacle course, and several other events later on in the summer, bike maintenance, mountainbike evening etc :smile:

And then there are dozens of public events on around Edinburgh all week ... it will be difficult to choose :biggrin:

T

colinr

I shall be at the Norwich one. Might don a CC jersey so you other forumites can spot me, failing that I'll be on a black fixie with bright orange bar tape.

Top Bottom