Bike weight commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
On my claud butler mountain bike, which I commute on , Im running my Schwalbe winter marathons and 2 bottles filled with sand and water in the 2 cages .and food for the day at work in my seatpost bag.

This ups my bike weight to just short of 19 kg my ride to work is 7 miles up hill , plan on staying like this till mid march.
Looking forward to to the summer months on the 9kg merida road bike !!!

Any extra weight addition tips welcome!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I carry a 45 litre rucksack on my back, not only does the weight make it harder, but the extra drag does as well. If I ditch the rucksack and go for a dinner time ride I can be a couple of miles an hour faster.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I don't know about all this kg business you young folk are always on about, but I weighed my bike before a commute a while back and it came in at 91lbs or about 6.5 stone. Thats without me on board adding a further 13 stone :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My commuter is 8kg without the rack. Add the rack, panniers and lights, it's more than doubled. When on other sites, I'd be surprised if the weight isn't trippled with my heavy locks !

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just wrap a couple of sheets of roofing lead round your top tube. Should be able to add a good few kg with minimal fuss.

Should be able to "acquire" a few sheets for nowt round your local church too :smile: (JOKE).

subaqua

What’s the point
Thats why I like that heavy riverside 7 tourer thingy I have from Decathlon. with both panniers in full mobile site visit mode its heavy and makes going at 15mph avergae a good workout. it also makes the summer much more fun on the road bike which seems weightless in comparison

Top Bottom