bike weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My Vivente tourer is 15kg, and with the seat post mounted bag about 16kg. I'm used to riding it up hills. I did notice the difference when I got my first road bike in November, though.

swansonj

Guru
My touring/hybrid bike, in road-going trim with mudguards, lights and rack, is 15 kg. Add on 75 kg of me plus clothes, and 5 kg of even the most basic day ride/commute luggage (tools, pump, jersey, waterproof, in pannier) and you have 95 kg. Cycling at say 150 W up a reasonable hill of 5%, spreadsheets suggest I would do 5.7 mph. Suppose I lightened the bike by a massive third to 10kg. My speed would increase by 4% to 5.9 mph. Make the gradient half that, 2.5%, and the gain in speed is only 3%.

Every gain is worth having - but in my opinion, differences in weight are likely to be less significant than how rigid the bike is, what sort of tyres it has, and whether it encourages an aerodynamic posture. Plus, there's the incalculable factor that a light bike might well encourage you to work harder. A traditional touring bike may weigh the same as a cheapo gas pipe job, but would be a much easier ride, despite the weight, because of those other factors.

Edge705

What is the bike? If it's a racing bike then, yes it's very heavy. If something like a tourer with mudguards & rack it's not too bad.

My knockabout bike, on which I've recently ridden the Hardknott and Wrynose passes is 18kg unladen, so I'd be quite content with something that weighs around 15kg
:ohmy:

granny ring perhaps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not a bad weight for the money. My wife's pinnacle hybrid is just under 13kgs and was £500. Dont forget tyres are important too in the rolling of the bike.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Big Bertha is 20Kg, but then as I also have the trailer & a 3 y/o attached and spurious stuff in carriers weight is not so much an issue with the bike

Top Bottom