Bike wont shift into 8th gear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zach2142

I know this is a common question everywhere and there are tons of videos online, but i can't wrap my head around how to adjust the 2 screws on the back.

My bike has 8 gears on the rear but it wont go into the smallest cog. it will shift from 7th to 1st but on the 2nd gear it's difficult to click because the cable is way too tight. once im in 1st it takes 2 clicks to go into 2nd and then it will only go into 7th even though it says im in 8th gear, all of these gears are rather rattly when peddling too.. how do i fix this..?
:(

tom73

Guru
Try Kelvin every thing is covered step by step from how it all works to that you do. Inc links to how to fix it if the basics don't work.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Z

Zach2142

I actually used this video for my sisters bike and everything works perfect on hers now mine just doesn't seem to work. ill keep watching this and hope it helps me..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s either the tension on Derailleur cable or the limit screws are not set correctly.
Start by disconnecting the cable and move the derailleur across the cassette by hand, if it won’t move onto the small cog adjust the low high limit screw until it does. Then follow the above video for the cable adjustment.
BTW welcome to the forum. :smile:

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Z

Zach2142

I can get it onto the small cog by moving it by hand, but when i also shift into 1st it goes onto the bigger cog but i have a click left. It seems to have multiple problems that i don't know what will fix which.

OP
OP
Z

Zach2142

I understand all of these videos but there is something i must be missing. i can get it onto the smallest cog by hand, but once it's there i have no idea what to do next i know the video explains it but im so lost, i've never done anything with bikes before. it still wont go into 8th gear on it's own when i click it.

OP
OP
Z

Zach2142

Im really not sure, i might just take it to someone that knows what they're doing. it's probably a very simple fix but im not really experienced in bike repairs as you can see. 😆

Top Bottom