Bike2Work scheme....will I ever own the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It would be significantly easier and fairer to just make bikes and accessories VAT free, this would also help cycling numbers. However, those saying it is not fair should realise that none of our taxes/benefits are fair.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

You don’t want to know! :laugh:
Oh but I do….🤔

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Perhaps they do realise? Doesn't stop us pointing out badly flawed systems.
(you may be aware that quite recently a change in taxation was proposed by our national leaders; there was quite a big fuss made about how unfair it was. It was even on BBC News! :okay:)

I think that would be better done in the other place, I am not whinging about IR35 here.

Theres a danger this thread might drift onto full NACA territory if we start discussing all taxes:okay:

My views though on C2W....

Those unable to take it as their employer doesn't offer it need to take that issue up with their employer or consider moving to an employer that promotes green travel. That the employer does not offer the scheme does not make the scheme unfair.

For those unable to use the scheme as their work journeys (this includes me BTW) are not suitable for a bicycle might I add this from the Gov.uk Cycle to work scheme implementation guidance for employers "At least 50% of the cycle’s use must be for ‘qualifying journeys’, i.e. commuting to work purposes;". So thats any journey for work not just commuting and doesn't state that the entire commute has to be on the bike, some examples of what I mean are:
  • Commuting by train but buying a bike for completing the start/end of the journey
  • Commuting by car but carrying the bicycle to work to complete local journeys for work by bike
  • Working from home (me!) buying the bike to opt to go into the office at least once a week by bike, and after 4 years I've got a bike for 30% less cost
I've used the scheme 3/4 times in the past and will use it again if my work journeys allow me to use a bike, but until then I'll keep promoting the scheme as I do think its fair and would not want to see it lost.

D

Deleted member 26715

Would you explain this remark please. I don't agree with the C2W and have explained why. I don't use the dark place and wouldn't wish to you. I've seen how some posters behave.
@Milkfloat's answer sums it ip quite nicely, very little is fair in the world, some people make a lot of money out of gaming the system, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. All systems are imperfect & there will be winners & losers, there are lots of things that I don't agree with that our Government spend our money on, (all colours & flavours) but no point in getting upset about it. In fact here's one, my wife's cars VED is £295 a year, she does about 5,000 miles a year, my neighbour has a BMW company car the VED is £20 he does 60,000 a year. Yes my wife's car is probably more polluting 2007 diesel compared with his 2021 (I think) diesel, but surely over the course of a year he spits out more pollution than she does? But this has got Zero to do with C2W

none of our taxes/benefits are fair.

Is NACA a better place for such condemnation of our government? Just askin ...

I'm sorry I don't follow your point. My view is the scheme is unfair because any tax benefits should be available to all. How about a drive to work scheme?

I should emphasise I don't feel hard done by and spend far more than the £1000 limit, my son says it's now higher, than the C2W scheme allows when I buy a bike. I don't though see why some people should benefit significantly from schemes effectively funded by government when others don't. I know several people who've benefitted but only one who cycles to work on a different bike to the one she purchased which is used solely on recreational rides!!

These schemes should only be for people who genuinely cycle to work. The purpose is to encourage cycle commuting, something which I'm very much in favour of, but this seems to be widely abused.

but thats like any other benefit. Indeed many employers when recruiting list it as such a benefit

some employees get private medical insurance, personal development paid for, pension, free parking- others don't. is it fair ? of course it isn't.

Drive to work - does exist. My employer calls all such schemes salary sacrifice, you can buy a computer, and electric car under the similar terms (these schemes haven't had much uptake to be fair)

imo if it were mandatory for the bike to be used for cycling to work - the scheme would quickly wither and die. So sure its a scatter gun approach. But cycling keeps people fit - so reduces the burden on the NHS. In a similar that some people get free access to weight watchers or slimming world whilst others have to pay. Some people go years without needing any treatment on the NHS (tax payer funded) - Others always need to be having medication or surgery.

I don't buy this - there are plenty of tax breaks that have clear conditions, but HMRC almost never checks.
But anyway, I think the basic idea is flawed anyway, this aspect is just small print!

Its not even small print. My scheme is quite open about the fact they will never check if you cycle to work.

imo if it were mandatory for the bike to be used for cycling to work - the scheme would quickly wither and die. So sure its a scatter gun approach. But cycling keeps people fit - so reduces the burden on the NHS.

So why not have a scheme that helps EVERYONE in the UK stay out of the NHS system by cycling more?! Why have the "... 2 Work" bit? Why need to find the right employer??

(there really is no point in answering that some other silly tax schemes exist, or that londoners earn more than northerners, or its warmer in Cornwall than Lincolnshire ... )

So why not have a scheme that helps EVERYONE in the UK stay out of the NHS system by cycling more?! Why have the "... 2 Work" bit? Why need to find the right employer??

(there really is no point in answering that some other silly tax schemes exist, or that londoners earn more than northerners, or its warmer in Cornwall than Lincolnshire ... )

I wouldn't be against that.

But that would probably involve something like VAT free bikes - and would probably be pretty meaningless as the RRP increase would swallow up the discount.

An unfortunate consequence of cycle 2 work - is that some people have to pay full price to make the benefits of C2w seem real.

Top Bottom