Bike2Work scheme....will I ever own the bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I've no experience of these schemes and feel they are grossly unfair. Having said that I doubt anyone will come to collect the bike and it will be yours. Good luck with it and enjoy the ride.
Grossly unfair to who?

And why?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Grossly unfair to who?

And why?

Anyone who's employer does not operate one of the schemes. Why should some people benefit financially through tax relief when others don't? When everyone has the opportunity it becomes fair until then these schemes are unfair.

Cyclesheme offers savings of 26-40%, bike2work 48.25%, cycle2work 32-47%. These could all be the same scheme but appear to be different.

I wonder how many of these bikes are truly used for cycling to work? My observation amongst those I know is very few. Surely participation in schemes with "to work" in the title should ensure the bike is used to cycle to work?

I once asked my boss if the company would introduce the scheme. His response was "You don't cycle to work." Very reasonable in my opinion.

Last edited:
Anyone who's employer does not operate one of the schemes. Why should some people benefit financially through tax relief when others don't? When everyone has the opportunity it becomes fair until then these schemes are unfair.

Cyclesheme offers savings of 26-40%, bike2work 48.25%, cycle2work 32-47%. These could all be the same scheme but appear to be different.

I wonder how many of these bikes are truly used for cycling to work? My observation amongst those I know is very few. Surely participation in schemes with "to work" in the title should ensure the bike is used to cycle to work?

I once asked my boss if the company would introduce the scheme. His response was "You don't cycle to work." Very reasonable in my opinion.

There is 'what is' and what in your opinion 'should be'.

vickster

Legendary Member

Maybe you’d feel hard done by if you didn’t have access to the scheme either?

The OP has never mentioned commuting in multiple threads, but if there is no stipulation to do so then it’s up to him whether he wishes to take advantage of the tax benefit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm sorry I don't follow your point. My view is the scheme is unfair because any tax benefits should be available to all. How about a drive to work scheme?
Maybe you’d feel hard done by if you didn’t have access to the scheme either?

The OP has never mentioned commuting in multiple threads, but if there is no stipulation to do so then it’s up to him whether he wishes to take advantage of the tax benefit.
I should emphasise I don't feel hard done by and spend far more than the £1000 limit, my son says it's now higher, than the C2W scheme allows when I buy a bike. I don't though see why some people should benefit significantly from schemes effectively funded by government when others don't. I know several people who've benefitted but only one who cycles to work on a different bike to the one she purchased which is used solely on recreational rides!!

These schemes should only be for people who genuinely cycle to work. The purpose is to encourage cycle commuting, something which I'm very much in favour of, but this seems to be widely abused.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sorry I don't follow your point. My view is the scheme is unfair because any tax benefits should be available to all. How about a drive to work scheme?

I should emphasise I don't feel hard done by and spend far more than the £1000 limit, my son says it's now higher, than the C2W scheme allows when I buy a bike. I don't though see why some people should benefit significantly from schemes effectively funded by government when others don't. I know several people who've benefitted but only one who cycles to work on a different bike to the one she purchased which is used solely on recreational rides!!

These schemes should only be for people who genuinely cycle to work. The purpose is to encourage cycle commuting, something which I'm very much in favour of, but this seems to be widely abused.

And how would you enforce it? Most employers won’t care either way

Alex321

Veteran
Fair enough. And I agree to a large extent.

Agreed. Though it doesn't really bother me much.

My company introduced it, just after I bought my last bike, but with the £1,000 limit even though limits are allowed to be higher - and were at the time.

So having paid over £2000 for my bike, it wouldn't have been any use to me even though I DO commute on it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Grossly unfair to who?

And why?

Ignore him, it's probably a slow day over in the dark place & there's nobody to argue with over there, so he's decided to start one anyway

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ignore him, it's probably a slow day over in the dark place & there's nobody to argue with over there, so he's decided to start one anyway

Would you explain this remark please. I don't agree with the C2W and have explained why. I don't use the dark place and wouldn't wish to you. I've seen how some posters behave.

Look, it's obviously a crazy scheme. Has been from the start:
- it's encouraging people to buy bikes, but only if they're a regular taxpayer. And
- even regular taxpayers can only use the scheme if they have the right employer (and don't change jobs too frequently!)

There must be less selective ways to give a cash incentive to bike buyers. (And with less red tape / confusion?)

Top Bottom