Bikeability Coaching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Since retiring at the end of May I've really quite enjoyed doing what I wanted, when I wanted. Which was great when the sun was shining....well sort of shining at times. However, as the nights started to draw in and the cold and the rain came along, I thought it might be good to get a small part time job, maybe a couple of days a week, just to pass the time away really.

In truth I only half-heartedly applied for a few, but I wasn't haven't a great deal of success. But then I came across an advert for Bikeability coaches required for my local area, which grabbed my attention.

Cutting a long story short, but I start my "Train the trainer" training on January 19th 2024, and then shadow other coaches starting in March. I must admit that I'm quite excited at the prospect in giving something back into the cycling community.

classic33

Leg End Member
Best of luck, and stick at it.

Big John

Guru
Good for you, Alan. I'm sure you'll love every minute of your training and get even more out of it when you begin teaching others. I'm a strong believer in having something to work the old grey cells when you retire. Since I packed in back in early 2020 I've been working one day a week as a volunteer bike mechanic and I love it. Good luck!

Slick

Guru
Since retiring at the end of May I've really quite enjoyed doing what I wanted, when I wanted. Which was great when the sun was shining....well sort of shining at times. However, as the nights started to draw in and the cold and the rain came along, I thought it might be good to get a small part time job, maybe a couple of days a week, just to pass the time away really.

In truth I only half-heartedly applied for a few, but I wasn't haven't a great deal of success. But then I came across an advert for Bikeability coaches required for my local area, which grabbed my attention.

Cutting a long story short, but I start my "Train the trainer" training on January 19th 2024, and then shadow other coaches starting in March. I must admit that I'm quite excited at the prospect in giving something back into the cycling community.

I must admit, I considered it myself when I reduced my working week to 35 hours, as that felt like part time after years of doing nearly double that. I never got round to it as I started to enjoy having the time to myself, but I would certainly revisit it if the opportunity arose again. Good luck with it. :okay:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I must admit, I considered it myself when I reduced my working week to 35 hours, as that felt like part time after years of doing nearly double that. I never got round to it as I started to enjoy having the time to myself, but I would certainly revisit it if the opportunity arose again. Good luck with it. :okay:

Like you lve got used to enjoying time to myself which is why when l was looking for part-time work l was only looking half cocked.
The Bikeabillty role came along and as much as l quite fancied the idea l wasn't 100% sure that l wanted to commit to it.
But it really is quite a flexible role and the work is scheduled a term before hand, so plenty of notice. As l understand it, the minimum you can do is three weeks per one school term, but you can do more if you wish.
But let's see how it goes, it might work for me, it might not?

Top Bottom