Bikeability Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
i remember cycling proficency in mid primary school we learned hand signals ( probably the only useful thing) and apart from that we had to cycle in a straight line go through a cone or two and that was it from what i can remember. what it dosent prepare you for is idiotic drivers.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i remember cycling proficency in mid primary school we learned hand signals ( probably the only useful thing) and apart from that we had to cycle in a straight line go through a cone or two and that was it from what i can remember. what it dosent prepare you for is idiotic drivers.
they go out on the road now.

One thing that was really helpful for my Eldest was going out on rides with other people. Proper Cyclists, instead of just his mum! Forum (across the road in t'other place) rides and so on. We also did a 50km audax which was a real challenge for him at the time. Unfortunately circumstances have prevented much cycling together for us in the last couple of years, although we're planning to put that right in the summer now that the younger Cub and I have our tandem. The big'un has absolutely zero interest in any kind of club or competitive stuff so that's a non starter for us but riding with the Audax nutters taught him a lot. He did BA 1 and 2 through school and mostly dismissed it as 'just stuff we already do' although he did pay a bit more attention to a different voice about some stuff.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Since this has become a featured thread I feel that i should answer some comments................I'll finally say i'm now a very competent cyclist, cycling a lot of miles and never had an incident!

Firstly L14M, it's a shame that you got such a poor instructor.....As an Instructor Trainer, if any instructor I taught and mentored ever told a client to always use the cycle path then they would automatically fail their Post Course Assessment and thus fail to achieve full accreditation as an instructor.

I'd rather teach my own kids to ride, not some random teacher who hasn't got a clue about riding on congested London roads with potholes and all sorts.

All National Standard (aka Bikeability) instructors are trained according to the following standard http://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/download/115, and after 6 months are then assessed (as mentioned above). They are also periodically mentored and have to attend regular CPD (continual professional development) courses. In addition their performance is also independently monitored by Steer Davies Gleave on behalf of the DfT. So they aren't just "random teachers", but are actually highly professional knowledgable people with a proven ability to impart knowledge whilst maintaining a full awareness of localised risk. I wonder if you can make the same claim.:thumbsup:

L14M

Über Member
Firstly L14M, it's a shame that you got such a poor instructor.....As an Instructor Trainer, if any instructor I taught and mentored ever told a client to always use the cycle path then they would automatically fail their Post Course Assessment and thus fail to achieve full accreditation as an instructor.

I agree, bearing that this was 4 years ago things may have changed. I also didn't mean to give the impression of every instructor! In fact I rode past a group of people doing bike ability training a few weeks ago. Gave the instructor a nod and got a smile back!

Top Bottom