Bikeability Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reglard

Anyone had experience with these clowns my daughter attended one of the courses at her School I was surprised to hear that one of the instructors rejected my daughters bike on tyres adding that she would not be allowed to ride on the second day without them being changed. On inspecting her current tyres which I do regular basis I found nothing wrong with them apart from them starting to reach the end of their service life but by no means there yet. Rushing about I managed to find a set 24 x 1.85 with tubes for £51 at the local boutique bike shop. On the internet I could have done this for £30 but I did not wish to disappoint my daughter however if I had known about the officious health and safety aspects of the course I would have not put her on it. A lot of parents were told they would have to fix the kids bike before they could go out and a lot would not have been able to do it in time.

I have some sympathy as I have seen some of the bikes ridden to our local school

However common sense would have been to have a bike inspection prior to the sessions to allow repair and maintenance

Drago

Legendary Member
Arse covering for insurance. Anyone turns up on one of my courses with a machine that's even slightly suspect gets sent away. I pay the premiums, I decide what's fit to roll or not, which isn't unreasonable.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My daughters bike was flagged for the rear disk brake not being adjusted properly (braking was a bit lacklustre). They did not bump her off the course though. I made sure my sons bike was 100% for his bikeability last week. He passed the first level.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rather them than me. Last thing I want is an insurer to refuse a claim because.I knew.about a.mechanical issue and did nothing about it, and leave myself open for compensation in court.

Last edited by a moderator:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've got to agree with Drago, if something happened to your child, they would find any excuse in the world to pin the blame on the child or instructor. And if the instructor is then refused insurance, no job! Arse covering!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Many kids bikes are down right dangerous. I do side with the instructors.

lee1980sim

If you don't like it don't do it, it doesn't stop you from riding a bike (or does it), but as far as I know the point is safety so it would be rather hypocritical for an instructor to allow in their opinion unsafe bikes / practice on a course they're in charge of

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Do some schools insist that their children have to have passed Bikeability or anything similar before they are actually allowed to ride to school?
I seem to remember it being mentioned somewhere at some point in the past..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OP
OP
R

reglard

Well my son won't be doing it , I suspected that it would be overtly elf n safety. Would be nice if the instructors inspected the bikes prior to the course. Once the kids are on the course its hard to say to them they can't do it.

Top Bottom