Bikefitting misunderstanding...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobbybrown78

bobbybrown78

I want to buy a second road bike to use when i am back home in holidays.
So i did a bikefiting and resulted that my current bike is small and the stem should be 4cm higher.
So i try to correct if possible my current bike's geometry and buy a new bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is your bike uncomfortable to ride? If not, the results from a bike fit are possibly irrelevant

OP
OP
bobbybrown78

bobbybrown78

I get back pain (lumbar) once in 20 rides but i have cervical pain very often and that s because of cervical hyperextension when i get in aero position.
Apart that problem the bike feels perfect.

I understand your point ... but when i go cycling i really enjoy riding an agressive stiff bike. I enjoy the acceleration and the feeling you get. I had a less racing bike in the past and i can describe riding on it boring.... The disadvantage of a racing bike is that you may get tired from the position in longer rides.
I prefer to risk and get another bike with racing profile and slightly bigger, than get an endurance bike that i won't find interesting to ride. I don't say what i do is right, but this is personal and nobody is perfect :blush:

Surely the bottom line is comfort ? - you are likely to be faster on a bike you are more comfortable on ?.

As an older guy I always look for a tall head tube. If you pay you can still get a stiff carbon frame - decent tyres and wheels will give you the speed.
I do think to an extent there is a bit marketing here - you can get a lowish position on a relaxed geo bike - and vice versa.

I always start with the manufacturer's guide as a frame size for my height. Then stack, reach, TT, HT height. the throw £100 or so at a pro bike fit.

cyclintom

Anybody else has this large deviation on bike fitting? reach 38cm and stack 59cm?

Do you think it could be miscalculated?
I can't quite make out what measurements you mean. What is your inseam measurement? Reach is somewhat adjustable with saddle and stem length. It the drop between the saddle and handlebars is too much you can either get used to it since racers have some pretty steep drops, or you can get another bike. I am 6'4" tall (190 cm) and most X-large bikes now are 58 cm so that is a pretty steep drop of 23 cm. I simply got used to it but now at 76 it is getting irritating. So I will be moving up to a larger bike - probably and older steel frame like a Basso Loto.

OP
OP
bobbybrown78

bobbybrown78

I can't quite make out what measurements you mean. What is your inseam measurement? Reach is somewhat adjustable with saddle and stem length. It the drop between the saddle and handlebars is too much you can either get used to it since racers have some pretty steep drops, or you can get another bike. I am 6'4" tall (190 cm) and most X-large bikes now are 58 cm so that is a pretty steep drop of 23 cm. I simply got used to it but now at 76 it is getting irritating. So I will be moving up to a larger bike - probably and older steel frame like a Basso Loto.
My inseam with bikeshoes on is 89cm and I am 1.84mm. i attach again the bikefit results.
When i am doing long rides i feel i would be better with a higher front tube...
Unfortunately manufactors make this type of bikes more confortable and less reactive...i am afraid the feeling will not be the same...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 6

vickster

Legendary Member
My inseam with bikeshoes on is 89cm and I am 1.84mm. i attach again the bikefit results.
When i am doing long rides i feel i would be better with a higher front tube...
Unfortunately manufactors make this type of bikes more confortable and less reactive...i am afraid the feeling will not be the same...
Wow you have long legs for your overall height ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1611856063352.png

OP
OP
bobbybrown78

bobbybrown78

Changement made. Here are the fotos before and after the change.

Attachments

• prin.jpg
    prin.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 15
  • meta.jpg
    meta.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 14

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The pictures with the more upright riding position certainly look to be an improvement. There's no way I will ride around with the bars set low and me bent double having to crane my neck to see where I'm going. That becomes uncomfortable after only a very short distance.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Why ride on the drops so much? The before photo looks fairly standard and is certainly not too low for someone on the drops. Do you spend a lot of time on the drops?

OP
OP
bobbybrown78

bobbybrown78

I guess you both have right, personally i find the first more incomfortable for long distances. if i want to accelerate or go faster i just flex my elbows when i am on the drops.
According to the bikefitting program in sport (not racing level) the second one is the perfect position.

Top Bottom