Bikeless - stolen!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Aha, thank you! I'd never heard of it.

Ditto.

Ellis456

Sorry about your bike, must be gutted seeing a space where your bike was, I had a bike stolen when I was a kid, was terrible. I use 3 locks for my mountain bike, motorcycle chain, thick cable one and another for seat.

I just cant leave it without it being locked down lol if only for 5 minutes, try and beef up your security next time, 2 differnt locks and register the bike via http://www.bikeregister.com/.

And I now want a kettle thingy lol.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Really sorry, but you do need a heavy duty D and another lock - even in so called secure parking.

One of my sites that I lock up in is next to 2 reception areas, swipe card access, under cctv, but it's easy to get into with a stick - just poke the door release button.

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Really sorry, but you do need a heavy duty D and another lock - even in so called secure parking.

One of my sites that I lock up in is next to 2 reception areas, swipe card access, under cctv, but it's easy to get into with a stick - just poke the door release button.

My bike was stolen from the street rather than in the secure bike store at work, but have learnt my lesson and will either leave my new bike at work and get a Boris bike up to the gym, or leave a D lock on one of the bike racks nearby so I don't have to carry it around.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Bummer...

... same thing happend to me on Friday. Left my bike outside Rackhams in B'ham City Centre for 10 mins whilst I nipped inside. I thought it would be okay on the cable lock but I certainly thought wrong!

When I reported it to the Police they said that there are "umpteen" bikes stolen from the City Centre ever day in just such a way. They told me that there are loads of people who walk around with bolt cutters targeting the more rubbish locks!

Shame there are no warning signs like that on the bike racks... but I will put up with the heavy d lock from now on! : (

OP
OP
Flyingfox

Flyingfox

Policeman phoned me today and said basically it doesn't matter what sort of lock you have (be it strong D lock or other) if they want your bike they will get it. I know some people's experience of the police on this site is not good, but the guy I spoke to must have been 'old school'
because he was so helpful (even gave me his direct phone no.) just put my faith back in the force.

Top Bottom